Mafia 101 NOC: game over (mafia win)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
King I'm extremely confused by your claim that I am likely scum. How did an early-day RVS with a bad attempt at a witty comment lead you to say that I'm potential for scum? Like, I genuinely can't see your logic here at all; I just wanted to start seeing more votes and comments so that there'd actually be something to make a read of some description lol.

Anyway, at this stage I've got null reads on most people. There isn't really a lot to go off of at this stage, and currently my only real "reads" are null-scum on hitmonleet, biggie and whydon for kinda similar reasoning to Blank Slate. That said these are all weak null-scum and quite honestly I need a lot more info before I can make any real judgement on these people. I also have king as a weaker null-scum because his post just seems to be making an ultimatum literally because four people voted and then making a vote based off of that, but given that I don't know his playing style I honestly can't say whether he's just using that post as if it were a meme of if he is actually being serious, which means that I can't really say whether this is suspicious enough to say he's full scum.

Unvote Blank Slate2356

I'm going to wait until closer to the deadline before making any final vote, but quite honestly I don't have enough info and I'll prolly just end up RVSing one of my null-scum people. That said, MoodyCloud does bring up a fair point in that a hitmonleet vote could potentially give us info, but I still think that the "accomplice" thing is still somewhat tenuous and that we need more info to really say that it is "likely" as opposed to "loosely possible"

Fortunately, we now have some more activity, so I can start scumhunting.

Sorry I hadn't come to this thread sooner.

Maybe this is me just being new to this, but why all the blind voting for King_ when there was a pretty suspicious attempt by Hitmonleet to discern the identity of the cop? I vote Hitmonleet.
The lack of substance here bothers me, even though I can see town sentiment here. biggie post more pls.

unvote
vote biggie

jumping on the hitmonleet vote with no reason other than "he's suspicious" rubs me in the wrong way. also considering that he already had three votes on him makes it look like you're trying to jump in the middle of a bandwagon and not draw much attention.
I see that everyone is jumping on Whydon for this, but he does raise some valid points. The major thing here is what I bolded. The post was a sudden jump on the bandwagon, without much explanation other than "OOoooh, that was totally attempting to find the cop!"

Agreed that whydon's post felt off however I think that if it comes down to hitmonleet / whydon / biggie for the lynch today we'd prob get more insight with an Hitmonleet one since if he's scum it'd point towards his rescuers and whydon voters, while if we lynch Whydon his flip doesn't highlight much as far as I can see. It is entirely possible that Whydon slipped but I'm not quite sold on lynching him yet. Vote Hitmonleet
This really rubs me the wrong way, trying to push the Lynch on my for "info" that would only actually give any benefit if I was scum. Otherwise, it's a free mislynch for the Mafia, and possibly an in with the town via Whydon, if they're maf.

Current Reads, from Town to Scum:
Texas (He's asked and answered questions, and even pinged people)
Mithril (Answers RQS, overall working to scumhunt)
Former Hope (Same as Mithril)

Blank (Seeming slightly town in their logic, but I cant really tell with them.)
Whydon (I don't really know what to think. They could be scum trying to get cred on me flipping town, or they could honestly be town)
King (Hasn't really done anything helpful at all)
Moody (Lynching people purely to get info bothers me. A lot. Scumhunting is the answer.)

Biggie (only made 1 post, which was kind of flimsy. Also hopped in the bandwagon without much of an explanation)

Everyone else either needs to post more or is Haruno.
biggie
TraceofLife
shubaka17
Haruno
Martin
Your thoughts?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've re-read the thread again and am dropping null-scum on king_. i don't really think there is anything to "make" of his post so to speak and idk why i even null-scum read him in the first place. Hitmonleet I don't think is scum at this stage just because his reasoning is pretty sound; null read, but even with his reasoning I'm not taking my eye off of him entirely on the off-chance that it is cop fishing. I'm having a hard time Whydon and am currently kinda suspicious of him, but it's a null-scum at best at this stage and I need to really judge properly. That said, I do agree with Whydon with the statement that Hitmonleet bolded above and currently I think Biggie is the most likely scum; that said, he's made literally one post so if he could maybe talk a little more I might be able to tell more about him. Scum lean. I am neutral on MoodyCloud's statement about info and would rather he be a bit more specific about the info thing 'cause--once again--I agree with Hitmonleet in that it seems like a good tactic to direct attention away from mafia. Null-scum.

tl;dr ver:
town: n/a
null: hitmonleet, king_
weak null-scum: whydon, moodycloud
strong null-scum: biggie

Still v. preliminary though; its still early days.

Agreed that whydon's post felt off however I think that if it comes down to hitmonleet / whydon / biggie for the lynch today we'd prob get more insight with an Hitmonleet one since if he's scum it'd point towards his rescuers and whydon voters, while if we lynch Whydon his flip doesn't highlight much as far as I can see. It is entirely possible that Whydon slipped but I'm not quite sold on lynching him yet. Vote Hitmonleet
This post bothers me. It feels too early in the day to be basing the voting decision on the info you get from the lynch. That kind of thinking always feels lazy to me and like the person doesn't care who gets lynched, as long as it's not their teammate.

Now admittedly, this reasoning can be valid at the end of d1 with two vice targets, but there is still too much time to be going there in my opinion.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm in agreement with Mithril on Moody, Hitmonleet has looked better after his first post with reasonable explanations and pushing a lynch on him for purposes of "information gain" seems like a subtle way to try and maintain pressure on him without a legitimate case, a tactic I've seen scum utilize before. This seems very opportunistic to me. Unvote, Vote MoodyCloud

Biggie doesn't look great from that post but doesn't look particularly terrible either, when I saw it my first thought was "brand new player trying to contribute", rather than anything inherently scumtelling. Someone to watch but probably not our best lynch today.

I have a finger of suspicion on Martin. His posts so far are pretty empty, reads lists at this stage of the game are kind of useless unless you're coming down strongly on someone. Your lists are exclusively "null reads" with leans which really don't bring down any concrete stances that you can be held accountable to and don't really apply pressure to anyone at all. Your posts read pretty heavily like you're trying to look like you're contributing while sharing public opinion without putting anything of actual value into the game. I question why you wouldn't begin to put pressure either through questions or through voting on your strongest scum read in biggie and I want to see more concrete content from you soon lest my suspicions fall more strongly on you.

For my own current reads, Mithril I town-read due to his town-oriented argumentation, Moody I scum read for the reasons previously argued, biggie and hitmonleet are slight scum leans (i.e. watch and evaluate), former/shubaka/blank slate are null reads with notes to watch closely (there's been parts of each of their posts that I've liked and parts that have made me stop and question), whydon is a slight town lean (watch extremely closely, my past experience has shown most scum come from my mild to moderate town reads) as despite disagreeing with his read I think his thought process was reasonable and his subsequent defense was towny, and everyone else is an idling fuck that needs to start fucking posting!

Martin

I don't have any concrete stances because there simply isn't enough to make anything concrete lol. My suspicion is heaviest on biggie because he's not said anything other than that one post despite the fact that he has been online since being voted by Whydon; I only separated it into strong/weak to show that he was just more suspicious than the other two. biggie to put it bluntly my suspicion is only going to keep rising if you don't post itt and you will still be my lynch vote if you don't offer up anything or even attempt to defend yourself after Whydon's vote and repeated comments on you being suspicious; I know you've been online quite a while after the Whydon vote and yet you chose to not defend yourself then, and while your activity after Texas' tag post can be attributed to not having been on quite frankly it still baffles me that you didn't take the chance when you were on.

Vote biggie

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
unvote
vote biggie

jumping on the hitmonleet vote with no reason other than "he's suspicious" rubs me in the wrong way. also considering that he already had three votes on him makes it look like you're trying to jump in the middle of a bandwagon and not draw much attention.
how is me voting for hitmonleet after that suspicious of a statement jumping on a bandwagon yet 3 or 4 people blind random voting for king_ not questionable? i will admit that his posts since my original vote have come across better and are potentially swaying my vote away from him.

I don't have any concrete stances because there simply isn't enough to make anything concrete lol. My suspicion is heaviest on biggie because he's not said anything other than that one post despite the fact that he has been online since being voted by Whydon; I only separated it into strong/weak to show that he was just more suspicious than the other two. biggie to put it bluntly my suspicion is only going to keep rising if you don't post itt and you will still be my lynch vote if you don't offer up anything or even attempt to defend yourself after Whydon's vote and repeated comments on you being suspicious; I know you've been online quite a while after the Whydon vote and yet you chose to not defend yourself then, and while your activity after Texas' tag post can be attributed to not having been on quite frankly it still baffles me that you didn't take the chance when you were on.

Vote biggie
apologies, i loaded up smogon and kept the window open while cleaning up around the house. it didn't occur to me that having the page open and not responding could lead to a mistrust among other players.

as far as my current stance goes, i do think the concept of lynching someone solely to get possible information on other individuals is something that a scum could think to do. i'm torn on what to do at the moment, so i will unvote for the time being. i still have an issue with hitmonleet's initial search for the cop, but moodycloud's position of lynching without a second thought to the collateral damage is troubling.

how is me voting for hitmonleet after that suspicious of a statement jumping on a bandwagon yet 3 or 4 people blind random voting for king_ not questionable? i will admit that his posts since my original vote have come across better and are potentially swaying my vote away from him.
I should probably inform everyone of this: Lynching King Day 1 is a bit of a Circus Meme.

Also, RVS tends to be a time when people do randomly vote each other for no real reason. I also thought it was scummy when I first played, but I can safely say from my meager experience, a vast majority of the time it means absolutely nothing.

My previous post was meant to be a reaction to the wagon starting from the hitmonleet/biggie/whydon chain of reactions. This is day1, town has zero info while scum have daychat and imo you're kidding yourself if you think town's odds of lynching correctly are high. Confirming that lynching town d1 as long as they have been polarizing the stances/have had a bunch of interactions with other players is fine by me, I'd rather mislynch and quite possibly getting something out of it than mislynch and remain in the dark. Do what you want but there will be mistakes and I'd like them to be useful ones.

My previous post was meant to be a reaction to the wagon starting from the hitmonleet/biggie/whydon chain of reactions. This is day1, town has zero info while scum have daychat and imo you're kidding yourself if you think town's odds of lynching correctly are high. Confirming that lynching town d1 as long as they have been polarizing the stances/have had a bunch of interactions with other players is fine by me, I'd rather mislynch and quite possibly getting something out of it than mislynch and remain in the dark. Do what you want but there will be mistakes and I'd like them to be useful ones.
Alright, this is something that makes me feel really not town about you, Moody. You're essentially advocating buffing the Mafia and killing off active players. Plus, that strategy would only help if they flipped as Mafia (real maf can "oppose" lynching an actual town member to get an in with the town). I'd rather lynch correctly.

Vote MoodyCloud.

To clarify since you didn't seem to get what I meant in the sentence you bolded : I don't think I would be lynching town by lynching you, I think you're likely to be scum but if you're not it might give me some insight allowing me to lynch correctly the next day so either way is fine by me.

Martin

unvote

vote moodycloud

Same reasons as Hitmonleet and Texas. Even with that explanation it still doesn't sit well with me at all that you'd advocate a free kill for mafia on day one for the sake of information which might not even be there.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
That wasn't the intention of my question. What I was trying to say was how do we manage to not mess up and get our only informative role lynched or night killed, and how we manage to counter the lacking information from needing to protect our cop.

Also, please, read the post above yours. I tried to explain my sentiment behind the action there. It bothers me that you've hopped on the bandwagon without analyzing my statements and explanations.
I trust mafia finding out who cop is, so much more than I trust village in this case.
i agree, this is a good game. except for the part where i've been low activity, and everyone has been low activity, and te only way we're getting info is a last ditch claim from a cop that we won't even be able to trust.

anyways there were some questions asked that i can't remember, so i'm just going to point out some things that i either observed or thought i observed but actually i'm slowly losing my mind: memes galore in "lol we should just lynch X"; there were a few attempts at someone trying to lead town, and those people should be trusted as far as we can throw them. town leaders shmown leaders. give me substance don't try and get it out of other people. that being said, other people do gotta step up, but that's their problem.

withholding vote until my mind returns from its little journey, but feel free to lure me back with some Good Analyses.
marry me plz.
I only got 2 so far.
I agree with whydon AND biggie, at the same time, they are good suspects of the same reason, which is Hitmonleet.
Biggie's hitmonleet is seemingly scum post agrees with me because it looks to me to lure cop, or center town around cop.
Whydon then goes and says that the post seems off, a diversion of sorts to divert attention, which is can also be right. This, though, for me btw, makes me see Why as Leet's accomplice, IF they are mafia, which I can only be partly sure of if one of them.flips scum.
No tutor would ever recommend a very very very early scum vs scum discussion like this. and seeing as how this is supposed to be learning, I'd rather just go for leet over biggie if anything.

Again, I'm not trying to defend Hitmonleet, it's just that Biggie's vote for Hitmonleet, to me, feels like they are a bit too excited for a Hitmonleet lynch. I mean, their first post in the thread was basically "let's end RVS and vote Hitmonleet". I'm not saying it's scummy to want to end RVS since a lot of players feel it can go on for a bit too much, but it feels like a push for a Hitmonleet lynch.
u suspicious af and prolly defending mafia scumbuddy

u all dumb af. LOL lynch whydon

No tutor would ever recommend a very very very early scum vs scum discussion like this. and seeing as how this is supposed to be learning, I'd rather just go for leet over biggie if anything.

u suspicious af and prolly defending mafia scumbuddy

u all dumb af. LOL lynch whydon
So because I pointed out how I felt about Biggie I'm trying to defend scumbuddy? You could say that about anyone here who isn't voting with the majority.

I'm going to unvote because after Biggie's recent post I'm pretty convinced that they just weren't aware of RVS and were trying to contribute. The way they said "can we stop voting king_ and just vote for hitmonleet?" made it sound like they were trying to end RVS but now I'm aware they didn't know what that was so I don't think I have much of a reason to suspect them anymore.

Moody I can almost buy. Biggie vote is absolutely retarded. Can we please stop letting hitmonleet lead discussion ty.
I feel like I should be insulted by this, but I agree with you. We gotta get everyone contributing. TraceofLife I'd like to hear your thoughts on things.

MoodyCloud still, Mafia can abuse those thoughts to look really towny and still succeed. My vote is staying on you until someone better comes up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)