Mareanie, Toxapex Discussion

If you want to fight extra cancerous, you can team up Toxapex with Ferrothorn, they cover each other´s weaknesses quite well (except for Toxapex´ Ground weakness).

If you want to fight extra cancerous, you can team up Toxapex with Ferrothorn, they cover each other´s weaknesses quite well (except for Toxapex´ Ground weakness).
Yeah. Been wracking my brain to find a third to fill out the core, and come pretty close, but nothing as perfect as just the two of them so far.

This thing could be very, very good.

It's really, really fat, pretty much has defenses a little better than Probopass. Having access to Toxic Spikes, Toxic, and Recover pretty much makes this thing fat and annoying. Typing is also very good. There's not much creativity with this Pokemon, but it will be very good at the one thing it does.

My prediction is OU-UU.

Toxpex reminds me of Carbink. Great defenses, junk everything else. Toxapex has things going for it: Good bulk, Solid typing, niche signature move and most importantly reliable recovery. If that wasn't enough, it gets even more recovery via Regenerator. Being a Poison type means it's generally immune to Poison and can absorb T-Spikes. It's signature ability Merciless is good on paper, though 63/53 offensive stats are extremely putrid. If this thing got 20+ Special Attack than Merciless would had been perfectly usable.

Solid defensive Poke overall. Though it's lack of offensive pressure makes Toxapex viable generally on Stall.

Apparently, you can catch a lot of different Pokémon by using the QR codes... some guy managed to catch a Chikorita

This could be very interesting depending on the kinds of available QR codes. Imagine finding Torchic and killing everything with Mega Blaziken. Then again, Speed Swap might be an even more interesting choice of move on lots of Pokémon.

Apparently, you can catch a lot of different Pokémon by using the QR codes... some guy managed to catch a Chikorita

Aw come on, I wasted the last 3 hours assembling a stall team I could breed for battles on my 2DS (so only pokémon from the Alola dex are available, no legendaries, no previous gen tutor moves; this makes choosing a Rock setter, hazard remover, cleric etc. so much more difficult) and now I hear that due to QR codes I am not limited to the pokémon from the Alola dex after all?

Aw come on, I wasted the last 3 hours assembling a stall team I could breed for battles on my 2DS (so only pokémon from the Alola dex are available, no legendaries, no previous gen tutor moves; this makes choosing a Rock setter, hazard remover, cleric etc. so much more difficult) and now I hear that due to QR codes I am not limited to the pokémon from the Alola dex after all?
Yep

Probably not all Pokémon are going to be avaliable through QR codes tho, and you have to keep in mind that the paste gen tutor moves are still not avaliable
Also, a lot of legendaries are not going to be avaliable too

And talking about QR codes... now is legal to get the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen starters in any ball (you can get the 2nd gen starters in 3rd gen balls thanks to Pokémon XD, but that's it)

Yep

Probably not all Pokémon are going to be avaliable through QR codes tho, and you have to keep in mind that the paste gen tutor moves are still not avaliable
Also, a lot of legendaries are not going to be avaliable too

And talking about QR codes... now is legal to get the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen starters in any ball (you can get the 2nd gen starters in 3rd gen balls thanks to Pokémon XD, but that's it)
Wait, really? How early can you use these QR codes to get the starters? I'd love a Sinnoh starter on my team.

So, here's how Toxapex stands up to an Adamant Banded Kartana Psycho Cut with just max HP Evs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel: 226-266 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That said, Itemless Modest Xerkitree Thunder is the way to go:
252+ SpA Ferrothorn Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 362-428 (119 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Ferrothorn Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tentacruel: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Of course, these are coming off a 181 (non-STAB) Attack and a 173 (STAB) Special attack, and have different Base Powers (In fact, a 110 STAB Psycho Cut would pick up the OHKO fairly easily) so obviously it may not be taking hits that huge.

Merciless + Baneful Bunker + Venomshock is a gimmick that's being dramatically overhyped IMO. Not only does it fall flat versus Poison types, Steel types, Substitute users, and non-contact move users, it forces you to give up Regenerator, and Venomshock has poor mono-attacking coverage and little utility against non-Poisoned targets.

I think the go-to set will be this one, maybe with a more optimal EV spread (max/max cause I'm too lazy to run calcs right now). It fits right in on stall and balance teams in a core with Ferrothorn and Gliscor or Yache Landorus-T, depending on how much you hate Raikou and Mega Manectric.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm - Regenerator
252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Def
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic Spikes / Baneful Bunker
-Haze / Baneful Bunker

Scald is a no-brainer, probably being the best single attack in the game for defensive Pokemon. Recover is also a no-brainer and it gives him reliable recovery, something which things like Ferrothorn and Tentacruel notably lack. The last two slots are a bit harder to choose from. Toxic Spikes is great for stall teams obviously, but with Gengar losing Levitate and this guy kicking around it will be harder than ever to keep them up. Haze is also nice as it stops him from being set-up bait and lets him reset some boosting sweepers. Either one could be dropped for Baneful Bunker, as it's a great little signature move, but in the end it's not really a must-have for him to succeed.​

Merciless + Baneful Bunker + Venomshock is a gimmick that's being dramatically overhyped IMO. Not only does it fall flat versus Poison types, Steel types, Substitute users, and non-contact move users, it forces you to give up Regenerator, and Venomshock has poor mono-attacking coverage and little utility against non-Poisoned targets.

I think the go-to set will be this one, maybe with a more optimal EV spread (max/max cause I'm too lazy to run calcs right now). It fits right in on stall and balance teams in a core with Ferrothorn and Gliscor or Yache Landorus-T, depending on how much you hate Raikou and Mega Manectric.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm - Regenerator
252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Def
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic Spikes / Baneful Bunker
-Haze / Baneful Bunker

Scald is a no-brainer, probably being the best single attack in the game for defensive Pokemon. Recover is also a no-brainer and it gives him reliable recovery, something which things like Ferrothorn and Tentacruel notably lack. The last two slots are a bit harder to choose from. Toxic Spikes is great for stall teams obviously, but with Gengar losing Levitate and this guy kicking around it will be harder than ever to keep them up. Haze is also nice as it stops him from being set-up bait and lets him reset some boosting sweepers. Either one could be dropped for Baneful Bunker, as it's a great little signature move, but in the end it's not really a must-have for him to succeed.​
Nice set! However, I went ahead and made some calcs to find a better spread: 252 HP / 180+ Def / 76 SpDef with Black Sludge or 252 HP / 72+ Def / 184 SpDef with Rocky Helmet (I largely prefer the former because it counters current threats better than the latter, but having physical attackers getting poisoned by Baneful Bunker one turn and hit by Rocky Helmet the next seems like a lot of fun).

This spread, like yours, counters many threats like Keldeo, M-Scizor, Gengar and both MegaZards, but it also other counters some physical/mixed attackers like M-Lopunny, max Atk M-Diancie and M-Heracross that yours unfortunately can't. With two turns of Black Sludge recovery taken into account (because Baneful Bunker), Toxapex can use a simple max HP / max Def+ spread and it'll still counter everything it's supposed to (I didn't make any calc for other Gen7 mons though). Also, I think Haze is practically mandatory on Toxapex because without said move, it becomes total setup bait against M-ZardX and others.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know if Baneful Bunker will let Toxapex vulnerable to status moves like King's Shield and Spiky Shield (I think) do to Aegislash and Chesnaught respectively?

This Pokemon is a fucking beast. Best toxic spiker in the whole game has regenerator, recover. Etc.

Its even worse than ferrothorn to battle. One of the most hardest pokemon in the whole game across all tiers to KO. Might be a little passive but has haze.

Another secret bonus to this thing is that it seems burn damage was nerfed to 6.25% instead of 12.5%. That makes it all the harder to chip down, since steady burn damage was always a good way to damage things like Tentacruel in the past and overwhelm them eventually. Immortal pokey thing.

Another secret bonus to this thing is that it seems burn damage was nerfed to 6.25% instead of 12.5%. That makes it all the harder to chip down, since steady burn damage was always a good way to damage things like Tentacruel in the past and overwhelm them eventually. Immortal pokey thing.
Aaaand that's where Salazzle can help with :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)