new metalheads thread

Mekong Delta are a band i really should have checked out a long time ago, but never got around to it.

i do like similar tech thrash bands though:
Coroner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJJov7wOCc
Blind Illusion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHQAI5VIUIc

if you like stoner/doom, do you like Cough? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lis98HzyGJ0

and here's a sample of Warning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHL76lIo7k
If you've never got around to it, I would recommend listening to the remastered Principle of Doubt or the remastered Dances of Death (And other Walking Shadows)

as my avatar suggests, i beg to differ. but oh well.

oh yay apparently circus maximus are releasing a new album this year; metal storm have it listed as a december release though so it might be early next year. other albums which are news to me are voivod, osi, and jeff loomis.

Any love for Angra out there? I like them a lot better than Dream Theater tbh. DT may be slightly sicker as instrumentalists (Kiko is a beast though) but their songwriting is lacking in my opinion. Most rock music has continuity down pat because of their continuous drumbeats, but I think because DT does so much stuff with meter and rhythm changes that they forget they need something to tie the song together. Often it strikes me as a collection of riffs (albeit sick ones) rather than a real song.

To me, Angra has many of the strong points of DT but the songwriting is much more focused. Rebirth and Temple of Shadows are their best albums.

In general I'm a big fan of progressive metal and melodic metal. I'm a music composition major, so I really like music that's meant to be listened to intently, rather than danced to or whatever. I think metal is where it's at for that kind of music.

I listened to the new Anthrax album recently, it wasn't very good but honestly how many people who aren't big Anthrax fans or delusional fan boys really expected something great after hearing "Fight 'Em Til You Can't" and "The Devil You Know".

While Anthrax are not my favorite thrash metal band in the world they have released some albums I enjoy such as Fistful of Metal, Spreading the Disease, and Among the Living. All three albums are about equal in quality, good stuff but nothing that will really blow you away. State of Euphoria was an album that really bored me, while it wasn't good it could have been a lot worse. Persistence of Time was just "okay", it had a few songs that I liked.

I really lost interest in Anthrax's music when John Bush came along, the music Anthrax made with Bush was just really bland, boring, and uninspired. The songs found on Worship Music can be described similar to the John Bush fronted studio albums, uninteresting. The riffs are pretty bland and at times sound nu-metalish, Joey Belladonna's vocals are pretty disappointing and at times I question if Scott Ian was really the one singing. For example, the chorus in the single "Fight 'Em Til You Can't "sounds like something freaking Trivium or any generic pop metal(core) band would do. Unless you're a really die hard fan of Anthrax or a delusional fan boy, I suggest you avoid this album.

2/5

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Same, supposedly it's really boring.

Deathraiser is a better thrash band in every respect unless you dislike harsh vocals.

Oh hey this thread exists.

Best metal I've heard this year has been Havok's Time is Up, which is a pretty good throwback thrash metal album that sounds like it came out in '87, and Disma's Towards the Megalith, which is an AWESOME old school, gritty, dirty, pounding death metal album that will probably make my best albums for the year. I would for sure recommend both.

EDIT: Also this is dubious to count as either 2011 (as it came it in pretty much everywhere besides the US in 2010) or metal (it's more hard rock, but with a definite black metal tinge), but Kvelertak's S/T was great too

EDIT2: haven't heard anything off pope's list besides Disma, gonna be a metal listening night for me!

Towards The Megalith is fantastic death metal. Top 5 this year for sure.

Right now my top 5 would probably look something like this:
1. Hades Archer - For The Diabolical Ages
2. Necros Christos - Doom Of The Occult
3. Virus - The Agent That Shapes The Desert
4. Disma - Towards The Megalith
5. Wo Fat - Noche Del Chupacabra

still have a lot of stuff to listen to, though.

Megadeth - Public Enemy No. 1

As a person who has found to love at least one song from Megadeth be it their classic first four studio albums or everything after (That includes Risk, though I feel United Abominations is just as bad and The World Needs a Hero is their overall worst), I was really disappointed in this song, even more so when I enjoyed the bootleg live version.

The song has very poor structure, the riffs are not interesting whatsoever, Dave's vocals are pretty lame, and the lyrics are pretty darn stupid even by metal cliche standards. I am surprised people who aren't delusional fans of the band actually liked that song. Factoring in that Dave Mustaine is capable of writing much better stuff and that are a lot of good metal bands in the underground scene (Hades Archer freaking rules!), that song is just trash. "Public Enemy No. 1" is one of the band's worst songs to date.

Also the new album Th1rt3en has at least six songs we've now heard. New World Order, Millennium of the Blind, Black Swan, & Sudden Death we've heard previously. Never Dead and Public Enemy No. 1 are recent.

New World Order & Millennium of the Blind: They're okay for what they are worth but they're not songs I would call one of my all-time favorites. I really don't want to think about how they are going to butcher these songs to oblivion with re-recording them. Remember how bad A Tout le Monde (Set Me Free) from United Abominations was?

Black Swan: Should have been included on that garbage United Abominations. How is it that a bonus track sounds better than everything else on the actual album? Okay song but sounds godly when compared to the majority of that album.

Sudden Death: Terrible!!!!

Never Dead: Really pointless.

did anyone ever honestly expect anything positive from new megadeth / anthrax / metallica in the first place?

checking out a bit of death metal and black metal (which is odd for me really), and i think i'll pick up immolation, dissection and emperor. if anyone wants to rec similar stuff then go for it.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Dissection's last album was AMAZING! Everyone here will disagree with me, but I loved that one. As for the other two I hear good things about them from my friends who have tastes similar to popemobile. I personally have never heard them.

Saw Chthonic, Skeletonmitch, Devil Driver and Arch Enemy live last saturday down the street from my Dorm Room. Great Show, could've passed on Devil Driver there though.

Gonna see Evergrey headline with Powerglove and THE ABSENCE (fuck. yes.) at the same place next Saturday. Considering I fucking love the Absence and their frothy beards I'd go just to see them, but the other two bands don't hurt.

Saw Chthonic, Skeletonmitch, Devil Driver and Arch Enemy live last saturday down the street from my Dorm Room. Great Show, could've passed on Devil Driver there though.
this. this is a show i was at, if by last saturday you mean the 10th. i agree completely re: devildriver. i'm not entirely sold on the new arch enemy stuff, though i don't actually have it and this was my first encounter with it. solid show though ! i would have liked a longer skeletonwitch set because i absolutely love their music, but oh well.

did anyone ever honestly expect anything positive from new megadeth / anthrax / metallica in the first place?

checking out a bit of death metal and black metal (which is odd for me really), and i think i'll pick up immolation, dissection and emperor. if anyone wants to rec similar stuff then go for it.
I'm in the small minority that actually enjoyed Endgame, I was hoping for an album that would be a good follow up but eh. And for your recommendations.

Death Metal
---------------

Anata: All their albums.

Atheist: First two albums.

Autopsy: First three albums + Macabre Eternal

Death: Start with the first one and go in order and stop until you find an album you dislike. The only albums I really listen to by Death anymore are their first two.

Dismember: First four are essential + The God That Never Was and self-titled.
Morbid Angel:Get everything except D, H, & I. Check these out once you've heard the first three, Abominations of Desolation, and the first two Steve Tucker fronted albums.

Necrophobic: Listen until you dislike something.
Pestilence: First album is thrash, second is death. Both are good, but their second album Consuming Impulse is just purely amazing.

Possessed: Both albums, good death/thrash.

Sepultura: First album could be considered death metal, the proceeding three are more just standard thrash or death/thrash. Stop after you listen to Arise.

Sinister: First three albums + Bastard Saints

Black Metal
---------------
Bathory: Their first four albums are black metal, get those! Check out the full viking orientated stuff if you'd like.

Darkthrone: First album is death metal, get that + the proceeding four.

Mercyful Fate: Yes, I'm counting them. Get the self-titled EP and the first two albums.

Venom: Yes, I'm counting them. Listen until you dislike something.

HOLY SHIT Decapitated put out a new album in July and I didn't find out until today. DLing now, will edit in thoughts.

I never thought Decapitated were great, but they used to be tolerable. Now they're just whatever.

I will always have a soft spot for Decapitated for being one of the first truly REALLY heavy bands I liked. I get they aren't exactly reinventing the wheel, but I always think fondly of them. They aren't really hitting home runs when it comes to consistency through an album, but they have some crushing songs, like Spheres of Madness, Post(?) Organic, and Human's Dust. New album wasn't bad btw. It's somewhere from a 3-3.5/5 so far for me, leaning more towards 3. A bit Meshuggah-y too, which is different for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)