The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough here. I don't want to see Cam get hilariously bad if he wins. But then again I like Megatron. So I'll pick Cam just to watch him do even worse.

It's interesting to note that the season after the Giants won the SB they went 12-4 and got the #1 seed. And it's not that they got better as a team on paper - they actually lost Strahan and got older on defense. Yeah, they lost in the first round of the playoffs, but they lost Osi and Plax also by the end of the year.

I think the Giants are going to surprise a lot of people next year. The only pieces they've lost are a backup RB and a third WR. No huge FA signings, but the defense if healthy should be much better.

On a personal level it's because I love Mike Vick and Andy Reid, and on a football level I think they can win the division and as the Giants showed this year, any crappy team can make a playoff run if the exact circumstances present themselves. The Eagles winning the NFC East this year isn't exactly a stretch. Most people forget that they were only eliminated from the division race on the last week of the season, they were 8-8 and actually had positive net points (unlike the Giants).

The only reason why I added Pats Giants 3 at all is because it would be funny. I don't take the Giants seriously as a team or as an attempted rivalry by New York "fans", the same fans that scream for Tom Coughlin to be fired every time they're below .500 halfway through the season then go on to compete in the playoffs. The same people who love to post about Eli Manning being god AFTER the game but is nowhere to be seen if they lose. They were terrible in the regular season, got lucky in the playoffs, and Super Bowl winning teams almost never do well the next season. Nothing to see here, people.

So you're from LA but you think Eli Manning is a god. All of your posts suddenly make sense. You really are THAT guy loollolololol

Disappointing =[. thanks for the response though
Wait, so you think the Giants got lucky? If anything, it was the Patriots who got lucky. Hey, guess what! After Super Bowl 42, the Giants have won more SBs than the Patriots! And guess what? The Giants actually earned the right to be in the SB by beating the best teams in the NFC! The Patriots played weak ass teams in the regular season(losing to the only good ones) and gave them an inflated look of not only their offense but the whole team in general. And not only did they get lucky by playing a weak ass team in the divisional round(and again giving the illusion that they "improved" or even deserved to be there) but they played terribly against a better team and(while theirs no such thing as luck) LUCKED THEIR WAY INTO A SB. They had no right to be in there. And the Giants showed them that they are just a good-ish team whose reputation and weak ass schedules makes them look great.

The Giants on the other hand, had one of the toughest schedule in 2011 and not only did they manage to win the division but they beat the two best teams in the NFC(and a third good one) and won the SB. Don't give me the bs that it was "fluky" or "lucky" specially since your a Patriot fan. The Giants in 2011 were the (way) better team(between them and the Pats) and actually earmed the right to be there. Unlike the Patriots who had no right and in fact was several times more "lucky" and "fluky". Though the Patriots again have a weak ass schedule and might return to the SB(and this again will cause them to have inflated stats across the board).

Sorry but coming from a Patriots fan i find it helarious that you would dare call this Giants' run lucky when in fact it's the other way around. The only fans that have some right to say that are 49ers fans who had the misfortune of losing in a rather incredible way.

Oh and points allowed compared to points scored and comparing them to other teams is shit(mostly because they play against different teams and you don't have a "control"). Guess what? The Giants actually play(and beat) good teams on a regular basis! The Patriots only beat the Ravens in the entire 2011-12 season with a winning record. Lucky? I believe so.

Lastly, i'm an atheist and call whoever i want god. As a joke really. But i do love Eli Manning because not only is he a great person(unlike puppy strangler Michael Dick) but an amazing and underrated quaterback.

It's interesting to note that the season after the Giants won the SB they went 12-4 and got the #1 seed. And it's not that they got better as a team on paper - they actually lost Strahan and got older on defense. Yeah, they lost in the first round of the playoffs, but they lost Osi and Plax also by the end of the year.

I think the Giants are going to surprise a lot of people next year. The only pieces they've lost are a backup RB and a third WR. No huge FA signings, but the defense if healthy should be much better.
They were 10-1 when they lost Plaxico and could have gone to 15-1 easily. Yet the Giants tend to have terrible luck in general and now have the toughest schedule. Realistically there is no reason why they won't go 14-2 if they manage to stay healthy as their real skill level was shrouded for most of last year(with only having 1 legit receiver to start the year and their defense devasted).

The Giants postseason run can be defined by one stat from the superbowl. 3 fumbles by the Giants and all recovered by the Giants. The ball bounced their way when it absolutely had too in the postseason.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I just want to let DM know that I am using a considerable amount of discretion in his honor right now.

Honestly some hero, I think you are exaggerating the strength of schedule. Every team in a division will play literally the same teams except for 2, and those 2 games are meant to be tough for that team. Perhaps the divisions they play are easier, but then again, every team in your division plays that weak division.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
If you base strength of schedule on opponents overall winPCT. , then ya the Giants had a much harder schedule than the pats. I don't really feel like getting into a discussion of whether or not the Giants deserved to be in the superbowl or not (since they clearly won the actual game vs the pats fairly), but the last people who should be questioning the Giants and calling them 'flukes' are the Pats fans ,whose team also got into the superbowl in a rather questionable way (easy schedule based on opponent win pct, beating the tebows, and winning against the ravens thanks to a timely dropped pass and missed FG). Not to mention the Giants have won vs the Patriots the last 3 times they played (and if you include pre-season (lol) its even more)... You can only get so salty.

oh dear god i come to see whats happening in this thread and GIANT HOMERS EVERYWHERE

damn they all came out the wood works again, now i gotta wait till the giants miserably fail this year for them to shut up :(

also we all should know Cam is going to be the first to break the curse

wait a sec..... Sophmore Slump.... Unrealistic expectations.... A god awful defense where the coaches claim will be a 100x better because 2 linebackers come back, one who hasnt played in 2 years.... the 10th hardest schedule...

guys I'm scared :(

TheValkyries

If you base strength of schedule on opponents overall winPCT. , then ya the Giants had a much harder schedule than the pats. I don't really feel like getting into a discussion of whether or not the Giants deserved to be in the superbowl or not (since they clearly won the actual game vs the pats fairly), but the last people who should be questioning the Giants and calling them 'flukes' are the Pats fans ,whose team also got into the superbowl in a rather questionable way (easy schedule based on opponent win pct, beating the tebows, and winning against the ravens thanks to a timely dropped pass and missed FG). Not to mention the Giants have won vs the Patriots the last 3 times they played (and if you include pre-season (lol) its even more)... You can only get so salty.
In all fairness, the dropped pass wasn't at all a dropped pass, that was a catch that was stripped by Sterling Moore. If the roles were reversed and Ed Reed knocked the pass out of Wes Welker's hands it wouldn't be called a "questionable" win in any conceivable way since the defender obviously made an outstandingly clutch play. Instead, it was Sterling Moore, who had played 5 games before in the season and no one had ever really heard of, so his play gets brushed underneath. People also forget that field goal was only going to put the game in over time, and trying to assume the Ravens were going to win that is simply fallacious, so let's not try and say that the Patriots win over the Ravens was obviously lucky.

Now, I'm not going to argue that having to play Denver High School was a massive boon to our trip to the Super Bowl, but you can't also deny that the Giants had numerous occasions where things just kind of bounced their way as well (literally).

Further, don't confuse any of my comments about the Giants in the past as me being salty. I respect the Giants a ton. Eli, Cruz, Bradshaw, Nicks hell even Jacobs was great. And that Giants DLine with JPP is the perfect anti-meta defensive build in this now QB's league.

tl;dr Lee Evans didn't drop the pass. Tim Tebow sucks, and the Patriots are thankful for it. Giants had some lucky breaks, but are still a good team.

To this day i still can't belive tehvalkry is a Patriot fan... I just got a little offended when jlllll called the Giants lucky/fluky. I wouldn't have minded as much if he was just being objective or a 49ers fan. The Patriot fans should just attack the Giants from a different angle.

Anyways to use your example of Moore. The Giants are a lot like him. No one really thought "Giants super bowl" at the beginning of the year(or halfway through the year...or during the start of the playoffs) and certainly no one thought they would win it(though most did once they got to it). And even after winning it, even after beating the best teams the NFC could produce(minus one... Thankfully) everyone still just brushes it off as "fluky", "lucky" and to use your own word "questionable" simply because they didn't fit the "champion" look. Which the Patriots so wrongly do: "13-3!", "BB + BRDY 5 SBs!!!","#1 Seed!!", "TOM FUCKING BRADY". The Giants coming out of nowhere and "getting hot at the right time"(which really means their close to complete/healthy) somehow makes them "proof that any bad team can make it to the playoffs and win it all". Which is far from the truth and really just shows that the Giants are back to form.

If it was that easy the Eagles and Cowboys would have done it already. The Giants definitley proved they could hang with the 49ers and Green Bay next year. Though most won't acknowledge that or realize that for the reasons i stated.

Honestly some hero, I think you are exaggerating the strength of schedule. Every team in a division will play literally the same teams except for 2, and those 2 games are meant to be tough for that team. Perhaps the divisions they play are easier, but then again, every team in your division plays that weak division.
Well, it was mostly about the Patriot-Giant relationship and how their 13-3 and points scored/allowed are no better than the Giants 9-7/etc because of the dificulty of the opponents. I wasn't really talking division-wise. But even then the Giants somefuckinghow had the toughest in it.

Can we just discuss something else rather than reopen old conversations about the Giants and/or the Patriots? It is what it is, we can all believe what we want about it. It will be interesting to see how each team does next year, personally I think both the Giants and Patriots will choke and miss the playoffs, leading to the firing of Tom Coughlin.

TheValkyries

personally I think both the Giants and Patriots will choke and miss the playoffs, leading to the firing of Tom Coughlin.
The former I can see happening, but doubt. The latter... When was the last time Tom Brady didn't make the playoffs? I wanna say 2002?

Also, thread needs more mentioning of the Eagles losing Jason Peters (One of if not the best Left Tackles in the league), and then instantly signing Demetrius Bell. I'd just like to take the time and shout my daily praising of the Eagles front Office.

P.S. As much as the 49ers Offensive Circus moves this offseason has been entertaining, I think it will actually pay off. Don't quote me on that though, but I'm looking forward to A. Smith being able to throw to more than just Vernon Davis as a competent target.

That's actually funny... Both are unlikely though. Unless Tebow turns out to be Jesus and/or the Bills end up sweeping the Patriots and winning the division. The latter is more plausible simply because they did beat the Patriots once and their schedule is simple. I don't think Coughlin would get fired unless the Giants go 2-14 and even then i could see him keeping his job. Simply because the owners know how to win...If they go 8-8, he won't get fired. Too much trust on him already.

I'm more interested in the 49ers. Wether or not they even win that division. Silly i know, but Matt Flynn could be a monster and the 49ers have a tough schedule. Let's see how many wins they get though. All i want is for the birds to get better so they can beat the Cowboys/Eagles respectively.

yond

mitt game strong
Further, don't confuse any of my comments about the Giants in the past as me being salty. I respect the Giants a ton. Eli, Cruz, Bradshaw, Nicks hell even Jacobs was great. And that Giants DLine with JPP is the perfect anti-meta defensive build in this now QB's league.

tl;dr Lee Evans didn't drop the pass. Tim Tebow sucks, and the Patriots are thankful for it. Giants had some lucky breaks, but are still a good team.
we are on the same page, because thats pretty much what i was alluding too.

Also, let me know where the logic is behind firing a head coach ,with two superbowl's to his name and a ticket to canton already written, is coming from. I'd interested.

yond

mitt game strong
after missing out on the playoffs 3 years straight and not winning a superbowl in 10 years, its a bit more understandable than firing a head coach who brought home the lombardi trophy the season before.

Nah I was only kidding, I highly doubt either the Giants or the Patriots missing the playoffs, I'm more concerned on the 49ers. Although I think Jim Harbaugh is an absolute genius sometimes, the NFC West seems like it could be improving. I do like the new signings on offense the 49ers have taken in, and the fact that we pretty much kept everyone on defense.

TheValkyries

Nah I was only kidding, I highly doubt either the Giants or the Patriots missing the playoffs, I'm more concerned on the 49ers. Although I think Jim Harbaugh is an absolute genius sometimes, the NFC West seems like it could be improving. I do like the new signings on offense the 49ers have taken in, and the fact that we pretty much kept everyone on defense.
The NFC West isn't improving. Just the 49ers and Seahawks. The Rams and Cardinals still suck.

The NFC West isn't improving. Just the 49ers and Seahawks. The Rams and Cardinals still suck.
Hate to support the Rams.. but you should look at what they did in the draft this year.. Completely and utterly ripped off the Redskins. The Rams have a good chance of getting the first overall pick in the next two years.... And with the posibility to trade those to desperate teams for even more picks. I'm sorry but the Rams are going to become a god-like team in the next three years. Though that depends on how well they draft...

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Rams have a good chance of getting the first overall pick in the next two years....
you are...really dumb.

RGIII is very likely to be a better/more valuable player than those picks COMBINED. But it's trendy to hate on the Skins, so let's throw facts out the window. The 2013 pick will likely be a mid-first, the 2014 will be a mid-late first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)