The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
*attempts not to take bait*

draft in 7 days. can't wait to see what TD does. he's usually good with late round picks but bad with opening picks.

Speaking of the draft, what is everyone doing for it? I might actually go this year considering I live near NYC and the Cowboys have an early pick. What are you guys doing? Bar, watching with friends, watching at home? Anybody really go crazy and have a party? Maybe going to your teams actual draft party?

Bubby, shiryuu... SERIOUSLY? How can you both say the 49ers will lose to the Patriots? Remember, the only good team they beat last year was the Ravens... And Tom Brady was terrible(TERRIBLE). The Patriots will go 12-4/13-3, with them losing to the Ravens, 49ers and coin flip on the Texans(a loss if their overrated quaterback is healthy) and the Broncos(a loss if Peyton is back to his old self and the team gets to form). Remember, the Patriots are only good because they play bad teams and i expect them to lose to every good team in their schedules... Saying that, i'm on record and want to say Patriots-Giants in SB 47!!!

I was waiting for someone to post the 16-0 prediction for their team.
I realistecally believe the Giants will go 10-6 but 12-4 if they win the Redskin games..

Also here is my Patriot schedule(as i want a rematch SB with a Packers-Giants NFC C game... You know, since Rodgers and Eli are starting a rivalry):

@TENN win
ARI win
@BLT lose
@BILLS win
DEN lose
@SEA win
NYJ win
ST. L win
BILL win
@NYJ win
@MIA win
HOU lose
SF lose
@JAC win
MIA win

Pretty simple really. The Bills might get a sweep and they might win the Texans/Broncos games... Other than that pretty standard Patriot schedule.

Did someone do the Packers yet? Yes, Rodgers-Eli is the next Peyton-Brady... Except, you know a little fairer.

It's called pessimism, and besides on paper, Patriots are far better offensively and strong during the late season push. Not to mention we have Alex Smith, whom even I wouldn't consider a good candidate to light up the Patriots' defense, as poor as it has looked (and this is coming from your typical Patriots hater).

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Some Hero, I don't think you should ever call a 6th round draft pic, with 3 superbowls and 5 superbowl appearances overrated. Just sayin. And i'm not even a Brady fan.

It's called pessimism, and besides on paper, Patriots are far better offensively and strong during the late season push. Not to mention we have Alex Smith, whom even I wouldn't consider a good candidate to light up the Patriots' defense, as poor as it has looked (and this is coming from your typical Patriots hater).
That's true, but remember Joe Flacco actually looked better than Brady that game. And i think Smith is way better than Flacco. And remember how good Smith played against the Saints? I could see him doing the same, specially with Manningham who is a pretty good third. I really can't imagine the Patriots winning that game unless they actually start running the ball(it won't do much good against the 49ers, but it makes Brady scarier).

And remember, after the Giants the Ravens were the only good team they faced so it gave them an exagerated look of their offense(only 23 points on the Ravens and 17 on the 27th ranked defense).

Some Hero, I don't think you should ever call a 6th round draft pic, with 3 superbowls and 5 superbowl appearances overrated. Just sayin. And i'm not even a Brady fan.
I didn't mean Brady! While yes i dislike him, i still consider him the third best qb at the moment(2nd still playing achievement-wise). I was talking about Matt Schaub of the Texans. I am not sold on him yet... Specially when you think about his offense.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't give a damn about the draft. My prediction has been Bills-Lions Super Bowl since the end of the season, and it still is.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The thing I don't get is why people on forums everywhere and on TV and radio are complaining about schedules, when they are determined solely by your performance last year and your division. We learned months ago what teams were playing each other, why is it a story now? The top divisional teams play each other the following season, the lower-ranked teams all play each other the next season. It's how the NFL maintains an illusion of parity so they can say "look this 4-12 team is now 7-9! theyre getting better! see! everyone really has a chance! now buy some more tickets for your team!" (no offense ancien regime :P)

I don't give a damn about the draft. My prediction has been Bills-Lions Super Bowl since the end of the season, and it still is.
I respect this pick so much but I really want Pats Eagles 2 as a more serious pick or Pats Giants 3 as a novelty pick

Remember, the Patriots are only good because they play bad teams and i expect them to lose to every good team in their schedules...
I get that you're playing the character of the overexcited Giants fan that thinks anyone with the blue helmet is god and everyone else is shit, but come on. The Patriots got better in the playoffs than they were in the regular season, especially on defense, after their joke of a second-half schedule. At least when other posters in this thread try to talk about teams they didn't watch during the season, they back their posts up with stats. You're just spewing shit everywhere and expecting it all to stick. The <3 Eli avatar + Giants parody character is getting old already. At least when I did this with the Bruins I wasn't posting ridiculous false garbage like this about other teams. Although I am curious what your character has to say about the Jets lol

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's true, but remember Joe Flacco actually looked better than Brady that game.
Correction: Joe Flacco technically had better paper stats than Brady that game, but he didn't look better. Flacco never takes any risks so he maintains serviceable stats on paper (much like Jason Campbell), but he never "looks" good as a passer. Brady only had worse stats because he was taking more risks like a true QB does. A QB that doesn't take risks is just a game manager.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The thing I don't get is why people on forums everywhere and on TV and radio are complaining about schedules, when they are determined solely by your performance last year and your division. We learned months ago what teams were playing each other, why is it a story now? The top divisional teams play each other the following season, the lower-ranked teams all play each other the next season. It's how the NFL maintains an illusion of parity so they can say "look this 4-12 team is now 7-9! theyre getting better! see! everyone really has a chance! now buy some more tickets for your team!" (no offense ancien regime :P)
This, for the most part, is why I avoid watching ESPN during the off-season. They have nothing to talk about, but they have airtime to fill (because nobody outside 3-4 cities gives a fuck about MLB/NBA) so they literally create stories, and then talk them into the ground. Fucking awful television, that channel has been a joke for a long time.

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 9, Carolina, 4:15 PM Maybe
Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 16, at NY Giants, 1:00 PM Loss
Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 23, at Dallas, 1:00 PM Maybe
Week 4: Sunday, Sept. 30, Washington, 4:15 PM Win
Week 5: BYE Win
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 14, Kansas City, 1:00 PM Win
Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 21, New Orleans, 1:00 PM Maybe
Week 8: Thursday, Oct. 25, at Minnesota, 8:20 PM Win
Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 4, at Oakland, 4:05 PM Maybe
Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 11, San Diego, 1:00 PM Win
Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 18, at Carolina, 1:00 PM Loss
Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 25, Atlanta, 1:00 PM Maybe
Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 2, at Denver, 4:05 PM Loss gf secondary
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 9, Philadelphia, 1:00 PM Loss
Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 16, at New Orleans, 1:00 PM Loss
Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 23, St. Louis, 1:00 PM Win
Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 30, at Atlanta, 1:00 PM Loss

My predictions. Losses will most likely happen (especially for a young team) and the maybes are likely losses as well, but we just don't know (we beat ATL and NO last year at home). The wins seem likely, but I don't know how the team and the Schiano will perform.

I'd be happy with 7-8 wins. More would be great. 6 seems likely as well, which really isn't that bad (first year head coach, young team). I just want to see some improvement in the secondary and in Freeman.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
even though a good / draft changes everything, i'll post this and compare it to what happened when the season ends for shits and giggles.

1. COW win
2. TB win
3. @NC win
4. @PHILLY lose
5. CLE win
6. @SF lose
7. WAS win
8. @COW lose
9. PITT win
10. @CINC win
BYE
11. GB win
12. @WAS win
13. NO lose
14. @ATL win
15. @BLT lose
16. Philly win

I think 11-5 is doable for the Giants. I don't think going into candlestick against the 49ers will result in a win (and the same applies for baltimore) because strong defense with home field advantage is near impossible to beat. Typical split between cowboys and eagles (sweep redskins for revenge) and 4-2 isn't far off from 3-3 last year in the division. Atlanta, Pitt, GB, NO, Balt are all my tossups and I have the Giants going into georgiadome beating atlanta, and outgunning the steelers and packers with homefield advantage. Should be a good season, hard as fuck schedule, anywhere from 9-7 to 12-4 is a possibility for the Giants so should be cool.

Also pats schedule is easy enough that anything lower than 14-2 is a disappointment (split hard games: sf, hou, den, balt), and 12-4 is an embarrassment.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1: at Saints (L, 0-1)
2: at Rams (W, 1-1)
3: vs Bengals (W, 2-1)
4: at Bucs (W, 3-1)
5: vs Falcons (L, 3-2)
6: vs Vikings (W, 4-2)
7: at Giants (L, 4-3)
8: at Steelers (L, 4-4)
9: vs. Panthers (W, 5-4)
10: Bye
11: vs. Eagles (W, 6-4)
12: at Cowboys (L, 6-5)
13: vs Giants (W, 7-5)
14: vs Ravens (L, 7-6)
15: at Browns (W, 8-6)
16: at Eagles (L, 8-7)
17: vs Cowboys (W, 9-7)

Basically, we split the division and win the easiest non-divisional games. Toss up games are home versus Falcons, home against Bengals, and home against Panthers, and well, all of the division games.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Correction: Joe Flacco technically had better paper stats than Brady that game, but he didn't look better. Flacco never takes any risks so he maintains serviceable stats on paper (much like Jason Campbell), but he never "looks" good as a passer. Brady only had worse stats because he was taking more risks like a true QB does. A QB that doesn't take risks is just a game manager.
Err did you watch the game or are you basing your post off either Ravens hate/making assumptions based on "the norm" (seeing as he's usually Captain Checkdown)? I am the most critical fan there is when it comes to Joe when he makes mistakes, I think his release can be too slow and his pocket awareness should be better. He was downright fucking amazing vs the Patriots! He took plenty of risks all game and played excellent and Brady played like absolute ass (part cause of our defense, part cause he just wasn't on). If our WR could hold a goddamned TD pass or our kicker could kick a 30 YD FG, everyone would be talking about how incredible Joe was on that final drive and mention him as a top 10 QB. Sheesh, watch games people!

You can also add to the point that you don't really know the condition a team will be in when your team faces them. Maybe a teams starting QB is injured or banged up in some way that would hinder him from preforming at his full potential. Maybe your team is coming into a game on a hot streak with all the star players healthy and at full strength. You could see a team on your teams schedule and be like " wow that game is going to be tough because of so and so ". Although when the game finally comes that team could be quite different from when you first saw that your team would be facing them. Its not really who you face in the NFL, its when, where, and in what condition.

Err did you watch the game or are you basing your post off either Ravens hate/making assumptions based on "the norm" (seeing as he's usually Captain Checkdown)? I am the most critical fan there is when it comes to Joe when he makes mistakes, I think his release can be too slow and his pocket awareness should be better. He was downright fucking amazing vs the Patriots! He took plenty of risks all game and played excellent and Brady played like absolute ass (part cause of our defense, part cause he just wasn't on). If our WR could hold a goddamned TD pass or our kicker could kick a 30 YD FG, everyone would be talking about how incredible Joe was on that final drive and mention him as a top 10 QB. Sheesh, watch games people!
Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Flacco fan but yeah Flacco definitely outperformed Brady in that game. IIRC, Brady even admitted that he sucked in that game in the post game celebration

Hey londie, the Giants are yet to lose at the Cowboys' home. So i think they will get swept again. The Cowboys are not as much of a threat to the Giants(though they could do better in general) as the Eagles and i see them as the bigger/only threat. It's mostly because the Giants match up pretty well against the Cowboys and tend to be weaker against guys that run.

I respect this pick so much but I really want Pats Eagles 2 as a more serious pick or Pats Giants 3 as a novelty pick
How much is it because the Patriots can't win against the Giants and how much is it because of whatever other reason you may have? Now if this were to happen, you bet your ass i'll be rooting for the Patriots as the Eagles have the Devil as their quaterback. But the only thing pointing to Eagles making it that far is hype. Nothing else. The Eagles have to go through the Giants(and the Cowboys as my last resort), Packers, 49ers, and a tough as hell schedule. And i'm sorry but the Eagles have proved nothing and, other than baseless hype, have nothing pointing to them even making it to the playoffs. I'll take the Giants(as should everyone) before the Eagles because they showed over an 8 game stretch that they could play and defeat any team.

Yes i hate the Eagles, and have nothing against the Patriots. Oh and the reason why the patriots would lose to the G-men again is simple: match up. The Patriots have a great quaterback and offense in general without much of a running game. The Giants have a great quaterback with great receivers and an amazing pass rush. They match up perfectly and the Patriots need to improve their defense to be able to ever beat the Giants again. Also it helps that the Patriot aura no longer plays an impact when they play the Giants and by this point should work the other way.

I get that you're playing the character of the overexcited Giants fan that thinks anyone with the blue helmet is god and everyone else is shit, but come on. The Patriots got better in the playoffs than they were in the regular season, especially on defense, after their joke of a second-half schedule. At least when other posters in this thread try to talk about teams they didn't watch during the season, they back their posts up with stats. You're just spewing shit everywhere and expecting it all to stick. The <3 Eli avatar + Giants parody character is getting old already. At least when I did this with the Bruins I wasn't posting ridiculous false garbage like this about other teams. Although I am curious what your character has to say about the Jets lol
Hey sorry if i see the Patriots as what they are.. Just a good team. I actually don't know what to say? I said i want the Patriots in the superbowl. And i said they will go 13-3 and i said i liked them... What do you want me to say? That i love them? That their on a whole other level? I think, from a non fan, saying that they are going to go 13-3 is a huge compliment. I give a neutral opinion on them, never calling them bad or a lie. Just that their not as good as they seem.

By the way, i live in Los Angeles.. so i have no beef with the Jets. My beef is with the Rams, Chargers, Raiders and since i started liking the Giants the Eagles and to a lesser extent the Cowboys. Since we have no team, i'm also a huge Green Bay fan. Just teams that i can watch games of without going out of my way. The Giants are my favorite team for 3 reasons: First, Eli Manning is a god. Second, their from New York, which is the only city that rivals LA. And because they are not a dominant team and are most of the times huge underdogs. Meaning less band wagon fans unlike the Patriots, Steelers, Green Bay(though i jumped on that wagon last year as my "second winning team to root for and make sure the divisional rival dont win a super bowl"). So i have no thoughts on the Jets.

But is it not taking risks or restraint on Flaccos part? You know, know your limits. Yeah i know they have an actual running game, but i'm pretty sure Flacco actually actively makes decisions and decides wether or not it's worth it. He should not be attempting stuff that he is not capable of doing. He's not the best quaterback afterall.

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Flacco fan but yeah Flacco definitely outperformed Brady in that game. IIRC, Brady even admitted that he sucked in that game in the post game celebration
After watching him play in that Jaguars game, I wasn't the biggest fan of Flacco either. He brought his A game when it mattered the most though and its unfortunate that Lee Evans couldn't catch that ball. Its amazing how people actually praised Steerling Moore for making a great play on covering Evans on that play, when Evans clearly just dropped the ball.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No I watched the game, I just don't think Flacco was as "amazing" as everyone made him out to be. Don't get me wrong, I think he definitely performed better than usual, and he came out on top in the QB battle, but it was more a consequence of Brady's sucking than Flacco's playing amazing.

tl;dr Flacco had a "better than usual" game, and Brady had an awful game, thereby making Flacco look a little better. I wouldn't call his performance amazing by any stretch though.

Trust me, I hate Brady a lot more than I hate Flacco, so if I did have any bias tendencies they'd be the other way around.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How much is it because the Patriots can't win against the Giants and how much is it because of whatever other reason you may have?
On a personal level it's because I love Mike Vick and Andy Reid, and on a football level I think they can win the division and as the Giants showed this year, any crappy team can make a playoff run if the exact circumstances present themselves. The Eagles winning the NFC East this year isn't exactly a stretch. Most people forget that they were only eliminated from the division race on the last week of the season, they were 8-8 and actually had positive net points (unlike the Giants).

The only reason why I added Pats Giants 3 at all is because it would be funny. I don't take the Giants seriously as a team or as an attempted rivalry by New York "fans", the same fans that scream for Tom Coughlin to be fired every time they're below .500 halfway through the season then go on to compete in the playoffs. The same people who love to post about Eli Manning being god AFTER the game but is nowhere to be seen if they lose. They were terrible in the regular season, got lucky in the playoffs, and Super Bowl winning teams almost never do well the next season. Nothing to see here, people.

By the way, i live in Los Angeles.. so i have no beef with the Jets. My beef is with the Rams, Chargers, Raiders and since i started liking the Giants the Eagles and to a lesser extent the Cowboys.
So you're from LA but you think Eli Manning is a god. All of your posts suddenly make sense. You really are THAT guy loollolololol

So i have no thoughts on the Jets.
Disappointing =[. thanks for the response though

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Oh thank god it's between Cam Newtwo and Calvin Johnson. I was worried Gronk was going to get the Madden Curse this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)