The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're joking, right?

Pittsburgh has one of the best personnel and scouting teams of any franchise. They consistently draft well and do respectably in free agency. They didn't get Moss because the guy is a douchebag and the Steelers don't normally go after big names with baggage issues in free agency. The Steelers are the kind of team that LET GO their #1 WR for a mere 5th round pick (Santonio Holmes) because of his issues, so of course they wouldn't sign a guy like Moss. They also have more than 2 WRs and one of the most underrated TEs in the NFL, so they are pretty solid in the receiving corps dept.

I'll just assume your post was meant to be funny.
It's me being a rabid steelers fan, I apologize for being so harsh! I just tend to criticize them a lot. I know they've made some great moves with guys like woodley and timmons in the draft but it seems like they neglect other positions (corner, safety, you gotta think they might go after poe this year since casey hampton is old/expendable etc etc). I know for a fact that this year they've got some salary cap problems but after the breakout year mike wallace had last year (especially the first half!) you'd think it's a no-brainer they would resign him...it's still a mystery as to why they haven't done anything about it imo. I just feel like they could be a little more aggressive in free agency. I wasn't saying they had to pick up T.O. or something but moss would be a nice addition and if the 49ers could get him for 1.5M in incentives/bonuses you'd think it wouldn't be THAT much of an investment and tomlin would probably keep him in line, right?....right?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's me being a rabid steelers fan, I apologize for being so harsh! I just tend to criticize them a lot. I know they've made some great moves with guys like woodley and timmons in the draft but it seems like they neglect other positions (corner, safety, you gotta think they might go after poe this year since casey hampton is old/expendable etc etc). I know for a fact that this year they've got some salary cap problems but after the breakout year mike wallace had last year (especially the first half!) you'd think it's a no-brainer they would resign him...it's still a mystery as to why they haven't done anything about it imo. I just feel like they could be a little more aggressive in free agency. I wasn't saying they had to pick up T.O. or something but moss would be a nice addition and if the 49ers could get him for 1.5M in incentives/bonuses you'd think it wouldn't be THAT much of an investment and tomlin would probably keep him in line, right?....right?
Hehe I guess you haven't lurked long enough to know I'm about the biggest Steelers fan there is.

Pittsburgh not being aggressive in free agency is nothing new, it's actually what they are known for. They're the kind of organization that likes to quietly go through free agency and have a smart draft. They haven't re-signed Mike Wallace yet, I believe, because he wants a ton of money and they're trying to bring him back down to earth. I think if another team wanted to grab him and give up a first round pick for him in addition to the contract, the Steelers would easily let him walk. They've shown time after time that nobody is bigger than the team, and even their biggest stars can be replaced. It's worked like a charm for them so I see no reason for them to change their approach now. Whatever their reason for seemingly not addressing problem areas before now is, I'm sure there's more to it than we as the fans know. Perhaps they didn't go after a NT in recent years because they didn't find the guy they liked? Hampton is getting old, but he's still among the best at what he does and the Steelers have been able to afford waiting to find his replacement. They probably will pull the trigger this time around with a guy like Poe available, but we shall see. I never cease to be amazed by the way the Steelers somehow find a way to get it done despite some holes that seem obvious to me on the surface. One reason I'm so proud to be a fan :).

Hampton is getting old, but he's still among the best at what he does and the Steelers have been able to afford waiting to find his replacement.
he still gets ~4 million/yr I think and either he has to restructure to about 1.5 mill or they might release him (I'm actually not sure what they've done so far with him...)
if they keep him, and don't keep mike wallace, I feel like they should go for wr/cb in 1st rd of draft because they always seem to draft offensive linemen in early rounds and they rarely work out so they have to use old people like max starks ;-;
I was thinking michael floyd if he's still there or janoris jenkins but they both have had problems in the past so probably stephon gilmore if he's still there or maybe reuben randle? he's big and is pretty fast too and is a decent route runner :/

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
he still gets ~4 million/yr I think and either he has to restructure to about 1.5 mill or they might release him (I'm actually not sure what they've done so far with him...)
if they keep him, and don't keep mike wallace, I feel like they should go for wr/cb in 1st rd of draft because they always seem to draft offensive linemen in early rounds and they rarely work out so they have to use old people like max starks ;-;
I was thinking michael floyd if he's still there or janoris jenkins but they both have had problems in the past so probably stephon gilmore if he's still there or maybe reuben randle? he's big and is pretty fast too and is a decent route runner :/
Why do they need a WR? Even without Wallace they have Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery, with Heath Miller and Leonard Poop as TEs. WR is hardly a concern for them right now, but I do agree a CB might work out. I liked what I saw from Keenan Lewis last season though, so we may still be ok there.

So the schedules for the 2012 NFL regular season are going to be released tonight on the NFL Network at 7pm EST. Notable is the fact that the Cowboys are facing the Giants 1st game of the year on NBC in primetime. It still amazes me how the Cowboys haven't won a Sunday night primetime NBC game in 2 years ( last one I believe was that 17-0 game against the Redskins in 2009). I would love nothing more than for the Cowboys to spoil the banner game for the Giants but I still can't believe after going 0-4 last year on NBC primetime games our first game in 2012 will be an NBC primetime game.

Falcons Schedule -

1 - @KC win
2 - DEN (MNF) win
3 - @SD win
4 - CAR win
5 - @WAS win
6 - OAK win
7 - BYE
8 - @PHI lose
9 - DAL (SNF) win
10 - @NO win
11 - ARI win
12 - @TB win
13 - NO (TNF) win
14 - @CAR win
15 - NYG win
16 - @DET (MNF) lose
17 - TB win

few games could go either way. 12-4 minimum, super bowl in NO win :D

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Falcons Schedule -

1 - @KC win
2 - DEN (MNF) win
3 - @SD win
4 - CAR win
5 - @WAS win
6 - OAK win
7 - BYE
8 - @PHI lose
9 - DAL (SNF) win
10 - @NO win
11 - ARI win
12 - @TB win
13 - NO (TNF) win
14 - @CAR win
15 - NYG win
16 - @DET (MNF) lose
17 - TB win

their last game of the season makes this prediction very reassuring, i also think you're taking KC / DEN / SD all way too lightly.

"a few predictions could go either way"

i think the falcons win a tough game that they'll probably be waiting all season for.

as for the chargers, chiefs, den thing. the falcons have the luxury of getting peyton manning two games into his comeback at home, sd doesn't play their best football early in the season and KC... well to be honest I don't know much about them. but it's cool that TG gets to play his old team in his final season. also the falcons don't have back to back home or away games all season which is pretty neat.

i think the falcons win a tough game that they'll probably be waiting all season for.

I was going to agree with you, but the Giants are on the road that game... And it's near the end... So going to have to disagree with you there since i prefer the Giants when they play away.

1. COW win
2. TB win
3. @NC win
4. @PHILLY lose
5. CLE win
6. @SF lose
7. WAS win
8. @COW win
9. PITT lose
10. @CINC win
BYE
11. GB win
12. @WAS win
13. NO lose
14. @ATL win
15. @BLT win
16. Philly win

So if everything goes "according to plan" the Giants should go 12-4... However, injuries and "bad days" are bound to happen and will most likely go 10-6. With losses to the Ravens and the Skins as the most likely. If healthy, i can defintley see the Giants winning almost all of their final games. And the Ravens are at home.. so dissapointment is bound to occur.

All in all, Philly should be the Giants main threat this season as the Cowgirls will get a loss at the start of the season and in the middle... Anyone also notice how the BYE week for the Giants just scream out "super bowl run"? And i could see them winning all the games after it. Of course, i'm nervous about NO, as should everyone.

Falcons Schedule -

homerism itt

12-4 minimum? Highly likely that we'll lose @Philly and @NO, with coin-flip games against Den, SD, Dal, @Car, NYG, and @Det. 11-5, if they stay at the same level as this year (which is debatable), though I'd be happy with 10-6 and another playoff birth.

more homerism itt

All in all, Philly should be the Giants main threat this season as the Cowgirls will get a loss at the start of the season and in the middle... Anyone also notice how the BYE week for the Giants just scream out "super bowl run"? And i could see them winning all the games after it. Of course, i'm nervous about NO, as should everyone.
You expect a team that went 3-3 in division to improve to 5-1, when every other team will have improved as well?

Winning 5 games after the bye week isn't unlikely, it's nearly impossible. Remember the 5 game stretch last year, where the Giants played the Pats, 49ers, Vicks, Saints, and Pack? 1-4, and they looked downright ugly in a couple of those games. Week after week of elite competition will do that to you! And then to theoretically turn around and march straight into the playoffs after that... they'll basically be in the playoffs from week 11 onward!

All in all, guessing this early is silly, but I do so enjoy it :toast:

12-4 minimum? Highly likely that we'll lose @Philly and @NO, with coin-flip games against Den, SD, Dal, @Car, NYG, and @Det. 11-5, if they stay at the same level as this year (which is debatable), though I'd be happy with 10-6 and another playoff birth.
I thought you were a Saints fan <_< . I see San Diego as going down and would give the win to the Falcons. I have no idea why they have so many prime time games... As you can already tell, yes i hate all the LA traitors.

You expect a team that went 3-3 in division to improve to 5-1, when every other team will have improved as well?

Winning 5 games after the bye week isn't unlikely, it's nearly impossible. Remember the 5 game stretch last year, where the Giants played the Pats, 49ers, Vicks, Saints, and Pack? 1-4, and they looked downright ugly in a couple of those games. Week after week of elite competition will do that to you! And then to theoretically turn around and march straight into the playoffs after that... they'll basically be in the playoffs from week 11 onward!

All in all, guessing this early is silly, but I do so enjoy it :toast:
Well, if you count the Redskin games as wins they were 5-1. I know a sweep is a sweep but i'm glad it happened(to keep them bad for years to come). I'm certain the Giants will win those games as they will have lol RGlll at center. And again, i'm saying that the Giants should win those two games but might lose those if anything. To put it in one word, so you can understand me: lolskins. I have as much confidence in them as i do in running quaterbacks.

I know what you mean and we are viewing it differently. I see that as a good thing!! If the Giants get hot after the bye, and i mean white hot, it could be a super bowl run starting from the Packers. But i totally get your point, it will be painful and realistically no team should be able to do it. Then again, don't you always hear that about the Giants? All i'm saying is that it could turn into one hell of a run if all the stars align. It is just my fanboyism here, but if they do manage to get all Ws after the BYE, they won't be able to be stopped.

And you might have missed it, but realitically they will probably go 10-6. My argument being that if everything just works perfectly they could make a great run after the BYE which is at a perfect time.

Eh, my thoughts on the Niners schedule after a brief glance:

Packers - lose
Lions - win
Vikings - win
Jets - win
Bills - win
Giants - win
Seahawks - win
Cardinals - win
Rams - win
Bears - win
Saints - win
Rams2 - win
Dolphins - win
Patriots - lose
Seahawks2 - win
Cardinals2 - win

14-2, more than enough to win the NFC West obviously. They play the bulk of their rougher games against non-NFC West teams right off the bat, so I dunno, maybe best to play them before they all hit their stride? Or it could end badly like it did for the Rams and their horrible first half last year...Lions, Giants, and Jets have a reasonable chance to win, I dislike the Lions but they are playing with the whole revenge motive on their minds for last year's loss, and if the Jets show up in form, they're just as mean defensively and just as bad offensively, so it'll be a low scoring game at any rate lol. Saints I doubt can win, they might have Vitt back by then to coach but it still remains to be seen which of their defensive players are going to get tagged. The suckiest part of them playing the AFC East is they play the 2 good teams Away, while hosting the 2 crappier ones, would much rather have that switched (especially a late season game against the Patriots, boo). The time zones aren't helping much either, playing against the Jets 1 week then flying back to host the Bills. Otherwise, they should sweep all NFC West teams and be fairly ashamed if they don't give how crappy they are, only Seattle really should be able to take one at their home since it's a crappy place for opposing teams. At worst, hopefully they won't finish less than 10-6, which still should easily be enough to take the NFC West.

Those steelers unis make them look like bumblebees, just sayin'

Vikings 0-16 blah blah blah Ponder sucks huge monkey nuts etc. etc.
Even a crippled Adrian Peterson could single handedly win atleast 1 game.

Jags vs Vikings Win
Vikings vs Colts Win
49ers vs Vikings Loss
Vikings vs Lions Loss
Titans vs Vikings Win
Vikings vs Skins Win (Rookie QB)
Cardinals vs Vikings Loss
Bucs vs Vikings Loss
Vikings vs Seahawks Loss
Lions vs Vikings Win
Bye Week
Vikings vs Bears Loss
Vikings vs Packers Loss
Bears vs Vikings Win
Vikings vs Rams Loss
Vikings vs Texans Loss (Unless they rest starters)
Packers vs Vikings Win

7-9 and is very do-able, especially with a 2-0 start. And there is no way we 0-6 in the division.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love how you guys are making predictions before the draft even starts, let alone training camps. I know there's not much else to discuss but seriously?

Continuing on the trend:

Week 1: @ Green Bay Packers - LOSS
Week 2: vs. Detroit Lions - WIN
Week 3: @ Minnesota Vikings - WIN
Week 4: @ New York Jets - WIN
Week 5: vs. Buffalo Bills - WIN
Week 6: vs. New York Giants - WIN
Week 7: vs. Seattle Seahawks - WIN
Week 8: @ Arizona Cardinals - WIN
Week 9: BYE
Week 10: vs. St. Louis Rams - WIN
Week 11: vs. Chicago Bears - WIN
Week 12: @ New Orlean Saints - LOSS
Week 13: @ St. Louis Rams - WIN
Week 14: vs. Miami Dolphins - WIN
Week 15: @ New England Patriots - LOSS
Week 16: @ Seattle Seahawks - LOSS
Week 17: vs. Arizona Cardinals -WIN

As much as I want to take the 49ers over the Packers, I just feel like it's too much of a stretch. So 12-4, I think that will still be good enough to win the division and perhaps a #2 or #3 seed.

Dallas Cowboys schedule-

Week 1- @NYG- WIN
Week 2- @SEA- WIN
Week 3- TB- WIN
Week 4- CHI- WIN
Week 5- BYE
Week 6- @BAL- LOSS
Week 7- @CAR- WIN
Week 8- NYG- LOSS
Week 9- @ATL- WIN
Week 10- @PHI- LOSS
Week 11- CLE- WIN
Week 12- WAS- WIN
Week 13- PHI- LOSS
Week 14- @CIN- WIN
Week 15- PIT- LOSS
Week 16- NO- LOSS
Week 17- @WAS- WIN

Final record- 10-6

Ok so first off I think the Cowboys can get off to a hot start here because they will be fired up to beat the Giants and spoil their banner game, Seattle is tough at home but I still don't worry about them as a team, the Cowboys own Tampa Bay, and we have the Bears at home before the BYE. The Cowboys also own the Panthers as the last time we lost to them was that 2003 wild card playoff game. I'm still worried about this team playing teams inside the division such as the Giants and Eagles late in the season because the last two " win and in games " the Cowboys have played against divisional opponents they got destroyed. 3 of the 5 December games are at home and the Cowboys have always had trouble in December and I can only hope they can finally overcome it. The 2 teams they face on the road in December shouldn't be much of a problem in the Bengals and the Redskins.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Carolina Schedule: Week 1 - 17 - 16 wins, 0 losses. Cam Newton jizzes on everyone, and jizzes enough for a 200 man bukake on Matt Ryan.

Not much more to be said.

Redskins Regular-Season Schedule (All times ET)
Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 9, at New Orleans, 1:00 PM L
Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 16, at St. Louis, 4:05 PM W
Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 23, Cincinnati, 1:00 PM L
Week 4: Sunday, Sept. 30, at Tampa Bay, 4:15 PM W
Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 7, Atlanta, 1:00 PM W
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 14, Minnesota, 4:15 PM W
Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 21, at NY Giants, 1:00 PM L
Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 28, at Pittsburgh, 1:00 PM L
Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 4, Carolina, 1:00 PM L
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 18, Philadelphia, 1:00 PM L
Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 22, at Dallas, 4:15 PM W
Week 13: Monday, Dec. 3, NY Giants, 8:30 PM W
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 9, Baltimore, 1:00 PM L
Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 16, at Cleveland, 1:00 PM W
Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 23, at Philadelphia, 1:00 PM L
Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 30, Dallas, 1:00 PM W

I think the Skins will finish 8-8. Not sure this is how it will happen, though. Probably won't sweep Dallas but there are some games I picked them to lose that they can win.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Carolina Schedule: Week 1 - 17 - 16 wins, 0 losses. Cam Newton jizzes on everyone, and jizzes enough for a 200 man bukake on Matt Ryan.

Not much more to be said.
I was waiting for someone to post the 16-0 prediction for their team.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't know how we will do tbh. there's a long way away until week 1 and the draft hasn't even taken place. predicts are kinda lame. I just can't wait for the two wins this season over the falcons. lols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)