The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DM it's not just that the patriots didn't sign/franchise talib, it's that verner went for 4 years and only 14 million guaranteed to the BUCCANEERS. I'm sure the pats could have ponied up at least that much to sign the top rated corner (that isn't named Revis) on the market. The market also dried up super quick this year in terms of top talent.

Rashad Jennings to the Giants is a good move i think.

i really like what Caldwell is doing so far. no flashy pick ups, just good players signed to reasonable contracts.

Red Bryant
Zach Beadles
Toby Gerhardt
6th rounder (plus a conditional 2015) for Gabbert
re-signed Will Blackmon

Bryant is one of the few players i knew about before the Hawks D got injected with swag, really really surprised his market wasn't bigger.. i mean he signed with the jags.. that blows.

Fuck homegrown talent when you pick up the greatest passer in NFl history then ad the best OLB of our generation. I'm just praying to sweet jesus Ware has one monster, career defining year left in the tank. Hes a borderline hall of famer(and arguably the greatest at his position) so he just needs one more year, one last hurrah to make it a certainty. This is the guy you rooted for even when he played your team. The guy who always helped up Eli after sacking him.

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i take back what i said earlier and will continue drinking the kool-aid

IN BILL WE TRUST IN BILL WE TRUST

(ps i'd still rather have verner for 4 years / 14 guaranteed than revis for 1 / 12)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Fuck homegrown talent when you pick up the greatest passer in NFl history then ad the best OLB of our generation.
Last I checked, the Broncos missing an OLB was not the reason they and their most prolific offense of all time got their fucking shit pushed in by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. And they already had Manning at that point, so, you're stupid.

Last I checked, the Broncos missing an OLB was not the reason they and their most prolific offense of all time got their fucking shit pushed in by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. And they already had Manning at that point, so, you're stupid.
Maybe it was? Heck had the defense made some stops early in the game it could have turned out quite differently. The defense basically rolled over and died from the start. So yeah in that particular game a really good defensive player like Ware(or Von) might have made the difference. It wouldn't throughout the season(the Broncos with Peyton are a steady 12+ win team any given year) but definitely that game.

So, was Revis really that bad of a fit in Tampa's (new) scheme? I mean only reason he wasn't as good last year was because Schiano sucks.

Then again Patriots are gonna be scary with Revis in tow (as much as I don't like them), if they don't cycle through receivers and having/not having Gronk again, they're pretty scary. Though not as much as Elway's gambling on all these big names to push the Broncos to the SB again and win on Defense.

...or of course, someone will start saying dream team and everything will collapse faster than a house of cards (hint avoid signing Vince Young).

My Raiders have like 64 million in cap space so they decide to let their best 2 players walk in Houston and Veldheer, sign Saffold for a more expensive deal than Veldheer (despite Saffold being a guard and Veldheer being a tackle) then … rescind the deal for Saffold?? Al Davis was a bad GM towards the end but Reggie McKenzie is fucking horrible. He hasn't even been good at drafting so far. The future is quite bleak...

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eric Decker to the Jets and Darren Sproles to the Eagles. I really hope New York plans to get a better QB as well, because having Decker is not going to suddenly make Geno Smith legitimate.

As for Sproles, well, he's a good fit but why do they even need him? They already have McCoy, so getting another starter-quality back seems like overkill when they have a perfectly capable CoP back in Bryce Brown. We'll see how this one plays out.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
? tbh idrc. Like, Steve Smith has been a Panther since ive been 9yrs old. im 22 now - but im a panthers fan before im a steve smith fan. I kinda like what Gettlemen is doing with the off-season. While other panthers fans are getting salty saying "ahhh they passed on captain munnerlyn who was signed for 15 mil, mike mitchell who was signed for 25mil, and ted ginn, wut r we gonna do!"

We had one of the worst secondaries in the league, captain munnerlyn is 5'9 and not worth 15ml. mike mitchell was a nobody before last season, so were in the same position we were last yr, and ted ginn - everyone knows he was bad and cam made him a threat - but really out only big losses were gross and steve smith, moreso gross as steve smith was aging. they didn't think he was worth the 7mil and this is a business, thats fair.

My ideas situation is, get 1 reciever in FA, could be Nicks, Edelmen, Jones, someone. Then get 1-2 in the draft. Get a LT in the draft in the first round. Secondary will still be p bad tho :(

Last edited:
I kinda like what Gettlemen is doing with the off-season.
What is he doing though? Nothing. The Panthers have lost Jordon Gross, Ted Ginn, Domenik Hixon, Bradon LaFell, Steve Smith, Mike Mitchell and Captain Munnerlyn. Meanwhile, the Bucs, Saints, and Falcons have all spend a lot of money in free agency to make their teams better. I suppose Gettleman's hands were tied with the Cap because the previous GM was incompetent and gave out bad contracts as well as bad drafting. Carolina will to really hit home runs in this year's draft or else they will be a good candidate to regress this upcoming season.

Last edited:

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Read above. 1 yr ago we didn't have 4 of the 7. Lafell is medicore and replaceable. Theres still like 5 months till pre-season. The superbowl is in February, not a month after in March when FA hits dude. Gettlemen thrives off picking up underrated players. He single handedly got Mitchell, Munnerlyn, and Ginn pretty fair contracts based off their last season w/ Carolina. Before this season, Ginn was on a 1 yr contract, Munnerlyn was on 1 yr, Mitchell was on 1 yr making like 1mil if not less.

Gross is the only guy that we'll actually miss. Everyone else is replaceable and /will/ be replaced. Roman Harper is more established then Mitchell and while not outstanding, he's consistent and will fill the void left by Mitchell. :)

He doesn't have to do anything, he kept together the 2nd place defense and now lets wait and see what he wants to do w/ the offense. It's way too early.

Also bad drafting? Cam and Luke are hardly bad drafting by Hurney. Both winning their respective ROTY awards. Luke was the best pick up of the 2012 draft (in my biased opinion). Ofc repeating a 12-4 season is hard, but we aren't that bad off. We didnt have an offense last year receiving wise anyway lol.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Wait hold up... so you're telling me that the Patriots signed both Darelle Revis AND Brandon Browner?

HNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It never ceases to amaze me how the Patriots manage to have enough salary cap space to sign these players every year.

I am just going to spend the next year pretending the Patriots are the Cowboys & the Cowboys are the Patriots, brainwashing myself should not be too hard, right?

Uh...is there any reason the Raiders would trade for Schaub? Even if it's a 6th rounder, the Texans were likely just about to release him on Monday since he was owed some sort of roster bonus, so they probably could have signed him to something cheaper as well instead of that bloated amount he comes with. And it's not like Schaub was in high demand anywhere...and even if the Texans opted to keep him for whatever reason, they could've traded then.

Then again, it's the Raiders. They don't need Al Davis to be weird apparently.

All teams in the NFL are expected to hit the "salary cap floor" which is around 90% of the salary cap. The cap floor will be around $120 million this upcoming season, and the Raiders are something like $20 million under the cap floor. They are unlikely to be very successful next season, and there are very few free agents worth spending most of that $20 million on (the rookies will take up ~$5 million in cap room). The solution? Trade almost nothing for a player that can inspire some hope in the organization and at least get them to a mediocre season, who can be cut at any time after this year with very few repercussions.

The cap floor isn't a hard limit like the salary cap is, but with the way it boils down the Raiders would eventually have to give the money away anyway. Why not give it to Schaub? Any free agency contract would have competitors, and with competition comes signing bonuses that increase the future cap hit of a player they might just want for one year.

If the Raiders are really done in free agency like they seem to be, I don't really see an issue with trading for Schaub.

Good point , wasn't even thinking of the floor. I mean I'm not a Raiders fan, but you'd think with all that cap space they would've brought in some better talent over some of the more oddball things they've tried. I get the whole building through the draft thing, but that doesn't seen to be panning out too well for them either...

At some point I just stop trying to rationalize what management does. It's far too difficult trying to defend them all the time...

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If the Texans release Schaub, that means the Raiders have to compete with every other team who potentially would want to sign him. Trading for him is a win-win for the Texans and Raiders; the Raiders circumvent having to compete with other offers, the Texans get something when they otherwise would've gotten nothing. Once one considers the potential demand and value of Schaub, maybe it wasn't the best deal but at least that's the idea behind trading for players that would've otherwise been cut anyway.

Now why the fuck is Brandon Weeden on the Cowboys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)