Dewpider, Araquanid Discussion

Doubling the power of Water moves is a pretty significant thing to leave out of the ability description! I'm glad this thing turned out to be a lot better than it looked on paper. I love the design.

Very interesting. Loved the design, and now this ability is awesome. You could even run 2 water moves, 1 physical and 1 special if you want to do some massive wall breaking to anyone that doesn't resist water. This is probably the first time its recommended having 2 of the same time move on a pokemom.

Assault vest would probably be one of the better items just so you can be a very tanking special wall while still doing massive damage. Just not sure what the best 4th move would be... Liquidation, leech life, Scald, something else.

Very interesting. Loved the design, and now this ability is awesome. You could even run 2 water moves, 1 physical and 1 special if you want to do some massive wall breaking to anyone that doesn't resist water. This is probably the first time its recommended having 2 of the same time move on a pokemom.

Assault vest would probably be one of the better items just so you can be a very tanking special wall while still doing massive damage. Just not sure what the best 4th move would be... Liquidation, leech life, Scald, something else.
Most likely ice on those dragon switch ins. Rough skin/rocky helmet users like garchomp and druddigon won't like an ice beam, even if it comes from a 50 special attack.

Small nitpick, but I think the OP should be edited to reflect Araquanid's newfound OPness.
haha OPness...I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old.

Anyhoo, who's ready for some Water Bubble Entrained Mons? I'm liking Crabominable for that role, seeing as it can benefit for all 3 effects of that Ability, has Hyper Cutter to eat up Intimidates, and it can provide Wide Guard support as well as amazing dual STAB and spread moves like EQ, Rock Slide, and Bulldoze (though I'll be the first to admit that it has little to offer beyond those perks).

I don't know much about little cup so I might be talking out of my ass, but Dewpider seems like it has potential there.
With max investment and a positive nature, either of its offences can reach 14, which functionally give 28 when using a water move. For reference, that's equivalent to a base 163. 38/52/72 bulk is also decent by LC standards. It's typing is also good defensively, especially with the added fire resistance and burn immunity. Its biggest problem is its terrible speed and the fact that it only gets the damage boost on water moves. I could see this set working:

Dewpider @ Eviolite/Berry Juice
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 212 HP / 20 Def / 196 Spa / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Substitute/Infestation
- Hidden Power Fighting/Substitute

It could also pull off physical sets. Also can I just admire how nice it's stat distribution is? Almost no EV went to waste making this.

I skipped LC this gen but doing some rudimentary calcs it seems pretty good against what I remember being good, great against Omanyte, great against Mienfoo, who has to run some meme acrobatics set to do more than 50% and of course its offenses are ridiculous. It has to worry about being revenged by Archen in particular though, and without reliable recovery it won't like taking repeated hits from SR. I'd be willing to wager that it's probably this gen's #1 addition to LC.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
This thing is actually hilarious with a Choice Band. I mean Azumarill has double attack with base 50 and hits like a truck. This thing has 70. A burn immunity and being able to heal with leech life is nifty too right? Granted Azu has Aqua Jet, better coverage options, and its non-water moves are booster Azumarill is also quite the menace in OU, this could be a UU threat.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
252 HP / 252 Attack
Adamant
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Crunch

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 165-195 (51 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

yeah what's up

Last edited:
This thing is actually hilarious with a Choice Band. I mean Azumarill has double attack with base 50 and hits like a truck. This thing has 70. A burn immunity and being able to heal with leech life is nifty too right? Granted Azu has Aqua Jet, better coverage options, and its non-water moves are booster Azumarill is also quite the menace in OU, this could be a UU threat.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
252 HP / 252 Attack
Adamant
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Sleep Talk

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 165-195 (51 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

yeah what's up
I think Liquidation is a better move than Waterfall. It has slightly more base power and lowers defence too.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I think Liquidation is a better move than Waterfall. It has slightly more base power and lowers defence too.
Yeah I changed that shit. Poison / Water / Dark / Bug is actually not terrible coverage, considering you can bust through a lot of not-so-bulky resists with Liquidation.

This thing is like Crawdaunt but way bulkier, and no priority.

Araquanid @ Leftover
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 Def
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Wide Guard
- Protect
Note:
- Simple set......
- EVs to survive 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp's Dragon Claw with 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery(non Rough Skin Garchomp)
- 156 Atk 2-hit KO Garchomp with Liquidation
- Lunge and Wide Guard for support
- 252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt have 12.5% chance to OHKO(Life Orb will OHKO it)
- 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer have 6.3% to OHKO(Life Orb will OHKO it)

Last edited:
With the giant Pelipper buff, Araquanid will be a really good addition to a rain team. It actually doesn't need much support outside of what a typical rain team would have. If you have a Thunder spammer to get rid of flying types and other water types, you really only need to account for dragons... and what's a rain team without Kingdra? Speed and being a little flimsy on the physical side is the biggest boon here, but if it survives a hit, it is absolutely destroying something. Leech life will be nice for recovery, but unfortunately won't hit anywhere near as hard as the Water Bubble rain-boosted Liquidation.

I feel like we will be seeing quite a bit of Electric Terrain now, however, and that might cause some issues, especially if it comes from a physical attacker.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
OKAY: Just to calm the hype a little bit... Further testing will be required for Dewpiders ability; Water Bubble.

I believe there has been a bit of confusion about how much damage the ability actually does. The original video implies that it does similar damage to SE Crunch (160 power).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...chanics-research.3586701/page-14#post-7079813

The above post has a video with spoilers (So watch at own risk) that shows Liquidation only dealing minorly more damage than SE Crunch. Therefore we believe Water Bubble is the equivalent of Adaptability (Making STAB 2x rather than 1.5x). This makes it 170 power compared to Crunch's 160. If it was doubles water power + STAB than it should have been a clean KO... By an absolute mile. (85*2*1.5 = 255).

OKAY: Just to calm the hype a little bit... Further testing will be required for Dewpiders ability; Water Bubble.

I believe there has been a bit of confusion about how much damage the ability actually does. The original video implies that it does similar damage to SE Crunch (160 power).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...chanics-research.3586701/page-14#post-7079813

The above post has a video with spoilers (So watch at own risk) that shows Liquidation only dealing minorly more damage than SE Crunch. Therefore we believe Water Bubble is the equivalent of Adaptability (Making STAB 2x rather than 1.5x). This makes it 170 power compared to Crunch's 160. If it was doubles water power + STAB than it should have been a clean KO... By an absolute mile. (85*2*1.5 = 255).
I want off Mr. Araquanid's wild ride

Back in the shitmon pile I guess.

Is the part of Araquanid's body in the bubble is its face or its butt?
Its face. Araquanid is a diving bell spider, and they use that bubble to breathe underwater.

Back in the shitmon pile I guess.
I wouldn't say so. You still have an ability that gives you Adaptability on a good attacking type, makes you immune to burns and makes you resist fire to boot.

Double checking my numbers from my initial test, I can tell you the aqua bubble boost is still at minimum above an 87.5% boost. STAB and no STAB both agree on this.

If it's not double for some bizarre reason it's REALLY damn close. The video likely shows a min vs max roll, which is why it seems much more similar.

Edit: Oh, a request to test it on Dewpider because it might work differently. Misread that. Let's look into it...
Guys, I wouldn't disembark the hype train just yet...

This gets Stockpile too huh.Not something quite easy to run of course,with that movepool,but an interesting-ish choice.

100% sure now that Water Bubble adds a 2x multiplier on Water moves on top of STAB. Tested against a Wingull with a hacked Dewpider that knew Water Pulse/Silver Wind/Role Play/Heal Pulse. Water Pulse did double the damage of Silver Wind as long as it had Water Bubble. After it changed its ability to Hydration with Role Play, WPulse did the same damage as SWind. The test was repeated 5-6 times by healing the Wingull with heal pulse.
Confirming these findings. The video in question just has retarded min/max rolls. Water Bubble functions the same on every Pokemon its on.
Back on the hype train we go

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Giving us a heart attack for a second there, DHR.

Still kind of in Toxapex's shadow as a defensive Pokemon with surprise offensive capability to me though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)