CAP 11 CAP 11 - Dex Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
np: Elton John - The Dex is Back!

Our CAP so far:

DougJustDoug said:
DougJustDoug said:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.

The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate

Typing: Fighting / Dark
Stat Spread: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 110 Spe
Abilities: Volt Absorb / Lightningrod
Name: Voodoom
Movepool:
Code:
[B]Total Moves:[/B] 74
[B]Total VGM:[/B] 35

[B]Level Up[/B]
H Wrap
H Revenge
H Night Slash*
--- Astonish
--- Copycat
--- Pain Split*
--- Spite
7 Pain Split* (repeat)
11 Spite (repeat)
15 Grudge
19 Charge
20 Follow Me
25 Pin Missile
30 Faint Attack
35 Close Combat*
40 Acupressure
45 Aura Sphere*
50 Substitute*
55 Beat Up

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
(Egg Groups: Humanshape / Ground)
Perish Song*
Smellingsalt
Screech 
Pursuit* 
Memento* 
Imprison 
Mach Punch* 
Baton Pass* 

[B]TMs/HMs[/B]
TM 01 – Focus Punch*
TM 06 – Toxic*
TM 08 – Bulk Up*
TM 10 – Hidden Power*
TM 11 – Sunny Day
TM 12 – Taunt*
TM 15 – Hyper Beam* (ugh)
TM 17 – Protect*
TM 21 – Frustration* 
TM 27 – Return* (repeat)
TM 26 - Earthquake
TM 29 – Psychic*
TM 31 – Brick Break*
TM 34 – Shock Wave
TM 41 - Torment
TM 42 – Façade*
TM 43 – Secret Power
TM 44 – Rest*
TM 45 – Attract 
TM 46 – Thief
TM 49 – Snatch
TM 52 – Focus Blast*
TM 56 – Fling
TM 58 – Endure
TM 60 – Drain Punch
TM 66 – Payback*
TM 68 – Giga Impact
TM 73 – Thunder Wave*
TM 75 - Stone Edge*
TM 78 – Captivate
TM 79 – Dark Pulse*
TM 80 – Rock Slide*
TM 82 – Sleep Talk*
TM 83 – Natural Gift
TM 85 – Dream Eater
TM 87 – Swagger
TM 90 – Substitute* (repeat)
HM 04 – Strength
HM 06 – Rock Smash

[B]Move Tutor:[/B]
Ice Punch*
Counter*
Metronome
Mud Slap
Mimic
Uproar
Snore
Vacuum Wave*
Pain Split* 
Spite
Nightmare
Magic Coat*
Low Kick*
Knock Off*

Discuss and or submit Pokedex Entries for CAP 11. Rules:

• Dex entries must be submitted as a final submission to be considered in the poll. Make it clear so I know that it is your final submission.
  • You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is not allowed. If people don't comment on your dex entry, the silence is your advice. You can revise it and repost it, but please don't ask for help 20943 times in the thread.
  • Dex entries are generally 1-3 short, simple sentences.
  • Other Pokemon referenced in a Dex entry should be in ALL CAPS (e.g. DELIBIRD). Dex entries refer to their subject Pokemon as "it" or "its" rather than the Pokemon's name.
  • Keep entries in good taste. If it happens on Animal Planet or in National Geographic it's fair game, but gratuitously violent or excessively disgusting entries will be infracted and deleted.
  • Do not post "That Dex entry is cool" or "I like Dex entry". Your post will be infracted and deleted. You need some reasoning behind it, such as why it sounds good. We aren't looking for a critical analysis, just a sentence or two.
  • One submission only!

Final Submission:

"Its large needle tends to attract stray lightning bolts. It seems to derive pleasure from being electrocuted."

So, yeah, I'm an awful person.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I did some research into Togekiss' dex entries before coming up with this.

"Its loneliness stems from a purpose filled with strife. In spite of this, it finds a friend in TOGEKISS."

Rewording, maybe. But the point I want to drive home is the relationship between Voodoom and Togekiss, and considering their backgrounds they are the unlikeliest of partners.

So, here's mine.

VOODOOM the Vengeance POKEMON. [don't know if this is needed/correctly done.]

"When his master threw him away, VOODOOM felt a mix of anger and sadness. He masters the art of jujitsu, wizardry and lightning control to seek revenge. Though very different, TOGEKISS finds a companion in him, as he does in TOGEKISS."

Grammar and content are probably not perfect so help is much appreciated :)

EDIT: @SgtWoodsy: GOD, I love that Dex entry :O

SgtWoodsy, that's fucking creepy and I love it.

Anyway, here's my entry

VOODOOM - "It lives with the stigma of being discarded. Being around TOGEKISS can bring it comfort and ease its sorrow."

Feel free to comment on it n' stuff.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm going to write several. I hope people point out which ones they like the best :)

Voodoom, the Pain Pokemon.

"VOODOOM has stuck a pin in its heart to make sure it never feels anything again. It is said that its true potential is only unlocked when it feels loved enough to take the pin out."

"They often gather on stormy nights and spar on remote hills. The victor gets to take a pin from the loser; for this reason, the strongest VOODOOM are usually the ones with the most pins on their body."

"It can sense heartbreak. Despite its violent and misunderstood nature, it offers comfort to any other creature in strife."

"Contrary to popular belief, it rarely uses its dark powers to cause harm unless commanded by a trainer. It prefers to absorb the pain of innocents and loved ones."

"The pins on its body are particularly effective at channeling electrical currents into pressure points, increasing its power. For this reason, VOODOOM often gather and spar during thunderstorms."

"Its fighting style is astonishingly brutal and efficient. After a challenger is defeated, however, it will always help them recover from their wounds."

Those are the ones I have so far. I might add more.

I basically wanted this to be a Dark-type along the lines of Absol and Darkrai, not Honchkrow and Houndoom.

What I mean by this is, if you look at the Dex entries for Honchkrow and Houndoom, you will note that it makes them seem like "evil" Pokemon (i.e. about honchkrow being merciless and never forgetting mistakes, or houndoom putting toxins into its fire so the burns never heal).
However, Darkrai and Absol are both misunderstood Pokemon (i.e. absol is avoided because it can sense disasters but it uses that ability to warn people, darkrai only gives people nightmares in self-defense).
I chose this latter style because Togekiss' Pokedex entry states that it only appears in times of happiness, so darker Dex entries don't seem appropriate to me (just my opinion, those of you who have posted darker entries don't need to pay it any heed). It makes sense to me that Togekiss would see the inner goodness in Voodoom and choose to love and partner with it (are they in the same egg group? cool implications if so).

Constructive criticism welcome as always!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since I don't want this to get out of hand, I'l make this clarification:

While you can post multiple ideas for dex entries, you must decide on one final submission. Please try and keep multiple potential entries to a minimum in your posts, however. There is a thin line between just posting things up and hoping they stick, and having multiple constructive contributions.

So just be aware that if you post multiple potential entries, you're generally on thin ice.

"VOODOOM and TOGEKISS seek each other out to fulfill a mutual purpose. VOODOOM seeks happiness, and TOGEKISS wants to spread joy."

I'm going to write several. I hope people point out which ones they like the best :)

"VOODOOM has stuck a pin in its heart to make sure it never feels anything again. It is said that its true potential is only unlocked when it feels loved enough to take the pin out."
This one's definitely my favorite of your ideas; it has my full support (at least of the entries posted so far).

"After experiencing alot of pain and sadness, VOODOLL takes a needle a sticks it in his heart and evolves into VOODOOM. Myths say that VOODOOM commonly needs to be struck by the thunder to keep him alive"

Ok this is mine, I'm not such a good writer and sertainly not in English, so I owuld appreciate it that if there are some major grammitical faults or something, somebody would notice it.

VOODOOM the Vengeance POKEMON. [don't know if this is needed/correctly done.]

"When his master threw him away, VOODOOM felt a mix of anger and sadness. He masters the art of jujitsu, wizardry and lightning control to seek revenge. Though very different, TOGEKISS finds a companion in him, as he does in TOGEKISS."
I have more:

"It draws heavy magical power from the pin stuck in its heart. The pin also attracts high-voltage lightning to VOODOOM's heart."

"It uses the pin in its heart to draw high-voltage lightning and keep itself alive."

"VOODOOM is a pokemon of pure evil and revenge. Strangely enough, he forms a very good companionship with TOGEKISS."

Which one do you like best? Opinions/corrections are welcomed.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This one's definitely my favorite of your ideas; it has my full support (at least of the entries posted so far).
I really like that one as well, which is why I posted it first. I think I'll probably add another sentence about how they gather under storms to spar and call that my final submission. Thank you for your feedback :)

I really don't understand the specific need to reference Togekiss anywhere in Voodoom's background or dex entry. Its as though we're just trying to say "hey look everyone this Pokémon is meant to go with Togekiss use it that way please!" Do you see any reference to Blissey in Skarmory's dex entries, or vice versa? What about Heatran and Celebi? I much prefer the idea of a standalone Pokémon with its own interesting background, rather than giving them some kind of connection that's almost an excuse to give Voodoom some depth.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Voodoom, the Pincushion Pokemon.

"It is said wild VOODOOM are extremely volatile. Even when captured, trainers must still be careful of it because of it's unpredictable nature."

Thoughts?

Voodoom, The Broken Heart Pokémon

"It is said that VOODOOM formed from the shadows of a doll-maker whose heart was broken.
It draws darkness out of people's hearts, and converts it into power. "

Or,

Voodoom, The Sadness Pokémon

"It is said that if you see a VOODOOM smile, your soul will perish in sadness and darkness within the next 24 hours"

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
"VOODOOM gather in groups during lightning storms, drawing nearby thunderbolts. These thunderbolts fuel VOODOOM's strange powers."

Just a possibility.

FINAL SUBMISSION

"It's pins are constantly drawing electricity from the environment, so it rarely enters cities. Because of this, people think it is dislikes humans and try to avoid it."

I might need to clean it up just a bit.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
VOODOOM, the Resentful Pokemon

"A VOODOOM's pins will glow the more pain it takes. Should they glow a pure white colour, VOODOOM will transform from docile to furious. A power cut will happen in a local area if this mood swing occurs."

Voodoom: The Revenge Pokemon

"The large needle in it's chest can be used as a wand or a sword. It can also use this needle to attract lightning bolts coming from the sky or other POKEMON to increase it's own power."

or

"As it takes more punishment from it's owners he will break from their control and take revenge on the ones who abused him."

Please comment.

Edit: I also did Voodoll.

Voodoll: The Endurance Pokemon

"As pins are stuck into it the anger inside it grows. During a thunderstorm it will go into the centre of the storm and wait until it is struck by a lightning bolt. It will then evolve into VOODOOM"

CAP Dex entries are back?! Hooray!
I have a few ideas,

"VOODOOM very rarely trusts other Pokemon. However, it seems to get along with wild BANETTE."

When I read some of these Dex entries that mentioned Voodoom being a doll that was thrown away, and started seeking revenge, I instantly thought of Banette, and I like Pokedex entries that reference other pokemon. (e.g. Ryperior's dex entry in Diamond/Pearl/Heartgold/Soulsilver)

"It seems that the pins on VOODOOM vary depending on it's environment. If it lives in the desert, for example, the pins are made out of discarded CACTURNE needles."

A bit long, but I like the idea that the pins and needles on Voodoom are made out of anything they can find. If I wanted to make a stupidly long pokedex entry, I would say that if Voodoom live in the forest, their pins were made out of Weedle barbs, and if they live in the icy mountains, their pins are made out of Piloswine tusks.

"VOODOOM uses a mixture of martial arts and black magic to hunt down, and devour it's prey. It's most common prey is DELIBIRD."

Traditional CAP Delibird bashing. :naughty:

I spent a lot of time making sure my entries weren't hard to read, but if anybody has suggestions on how to improve the grammar, then I'm all ears.

So far my favorite entries are Sparky Young Upstart's, and FlareBlitz's first entry, because I like the idea that Voodoom is a misunderstood Dark type, rather than an evil vengeful pokemon. I'd write a dex entry like that, but I'm better at writing dex entries based on survival of the fittest in nature.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When reading FlareBlitz's first entry I immediately thought of the possibility of Voodoll having two evolutions and it evolving into Voodoom at low happiness, justifying its normal --> fighting typing. The other evolution would stay normal/dark, but that is out of the scope of this thread.

Just adding this angle for flavor, it evolving from Voodoll from being mistreated.

"It is said that VOODOOM is created when a woeful VOODOLL impales its heart with a pin."

Simple but effective, I think.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

"They often gather on stormy nights and spar on remote hills. The victor gets to take a pin from the loser; for this reason, the strongest VOODOOM are usually the ones with the most pins on their body."

"The pins on its body are particularly effective at channeling electrical currents into pressure points, increasing its power. For this reason, VOODOOM often gather and spar during thunderstorms."
I really like these dex entries, in the order listed. But they are all very well-written and evoke wonderful imagery. Also, I love "The Pain Pokemon" description. Really nice stuff, FlareBlitz.

"VOODOOM gather in groups during lightning storms, drawing nearby thunderbolts. These thunderbolts fuel VOODOOM's strange powers."

Just a possibility.
I like how this brings out the special attacking side of Voodoom. And for some reason I really love that phrase "Voodoom's strange powers" -- sounds great!

Voodoom: The Revenge Pokemon

"The large needle in it's chest can be used as a wand or a sword. It can also use this needle to attract lightning bolts coming from the sky or other POKEMON to increase it's own power."
A nice mix of the various elements of the pokemon. And the dex entry is the perfect place to explain how the needle can be used as a wand or a sword. I like this dex entry a lot.

VOODOOM, the Pin Doll Pokemon

"It lives in tribes with VOODOLL and other VOODOOM. The pin in its heart is granted to it upon evolution; the smaller pins for minor acheivments such as winning a duel."

And...

"Once in a while, VOODOOM grows extremely volatile and turns on an ally. Feeling remorseful once it has come to its senses, it sticks itself with a pin. Each pin is a reminder of a friend lost in anger."

And also...

"The needle in its chest can be used as a weapon. However, VOODOOM loses control of itself if the needle is kept out too long."

And one with a Togekiss...(even though I dont really like those)

"They share their territory with groups of TOGEKISS and protect them. In
return, the TOGEKISS provide aerial transport."

And my last one for now....

"The buttons on its face are sewn on by its elders. They are only charcoal, however, so it is unknown how VOODOOM percieve their surroundings."

Thoughts? I know they're a bit long.

Final Submission

VOODOOM-Animated Pokemon

A stitchwork doll was struck by lightning, giving birth to VOODOOM. Seeking purpose, it is often found defending groups of TOGEKISS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)