CAP 11 CAP 11 - Dex Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Jolly good show. Some nice, concise Dex-entries (Note: these entries are not related).

-----------------------------------------

Slightly darker Dex-entries:

"VOODOOM is the embodiment of a vengeful spirit that can see into the hearts of others. It will lie in wait for millenia to destroy an evil soul."

"VOODOOM has the innate ability to sense the darkness in others. It is sworn to eliminate all those that are not worthy of life."

"It uses its black magic to sow fear and discord amongst its foes. Storm clouds and thunder herald its approach."

"VOODOOM feeds on the pain and suffering of others. Once it has taken the pain from its holder, it will move on, leaving new life behind it."

"It will never forgive an attack. It will relentlessly pursue its attacker until either one of them is destroyed."

Slightly lighter Dex-entries:

"VOODOOM has many uses for its needle. It can be used as cutlery, gardening equipment, or for playing gramophone records."

"VOODOOM are very dangerous and irritable, due to the fact that they are in a constant state of paraesthesia."

"VOODOOM are famous for their vicious command of fencing. They are also avid knitting enthusiasts.

"VOODOOM are revered in some parts for their medicinal properties. Their needles can be used to administer drugs, they are experts in acupuncture, and can be served mashed with mint sauce as an excellent calming tonic."

"VOODOOM are most commonly found at the tops of adult conifer trees. Nobody is quite sure why."

"VOODOOM are expert singers. They can exploit this by singing rap music when under attack - everything that hears them dies three turns later."

"VOODOOM is popular in the justice systems of some Western nations. Not only can it instantly tell when a man is guilty, it can also administer a lethal injection."

-----------------------------------------

Well, that's that. Please feel free to ignore the lighthearted ones. Please.

VOODOOM Needle pokémon

After evolution it climbs on mountains during thunderstorms to absorb electricity. It spends all life searching for a TOGEKISS.

VOODOOM - the Pin Brawl pokemon

"Only by giving up its own heart can a VOODOLL become the remorseless killing machine known as VOODOOM. This sacrifice is also its weakness, however, since, without a heart, it must charge its chest-needle with electricity every week to remain animated."

ALTERNATIVE IF THE ABOVE IS TOO LONG:

"Only by giving up its own heart can a VOODOLL become the remorseless killing machine known as VOODOOM. However, with no heart, it must charge its chest-needle with electricity weekly to remain animated."

EVEN SHORTER

"By giving up its own heart a VOODOLL becomes the remorseless killing machine known as VOODOOM. Without a heart it must charge its chest-needle with electricity weekly to remain animated."

I'm only posting one of these, especially because Deck specifically said to not spam like 20. I thought about it for a hot minute and came to, what I feel, is what Voodoom would do.

Final Submission

Voodoom, the Pain Pokemon
"It finds a target soon after evolution that it will stalk for the remainder of its life. A VOODOOM shares both physical and emotional pain equally with its target."

Yeah, I'm not all that good at this, but here's a submission.

Final Submission:

"Upon electrocution, VOODOOM gained mysterious powers. Using these, it deals punishment upon those who caused it pain in its former life."

Damn it, FlareBlitz, I wasn't supposed to have competitors!

Haha, I kid, you other submitters. However, I did "accidentally" come up with a dex concept during the movepool submission process. The full description is below if anyone still cares:

Concept

This level-up movepool concentrates on a duality between light and darkness (Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse), as well as the psychological aspects of the mythology behind "voodoo" and related belief systems. The idea is that each of the two halves that make up Voodoom is imbued with a blessing and a curse respectively, but the cursed aspect is what gets the attention usually. Indeed, many of the moves seem to be of an "evil" nature, but in reality many of them are "neutral" psychological weapons that feed off of the paranoia of anyone who looks at it.

Voodoom evolves from its pre-evolution by leveling up knowing the move Charge. It learns Shock Wave upon evolving, signifying a discharge of the electricity it received after the lightning strike that triggered its evolution. The mindgames start with the basic Astonish and Taunt, as well as Pursuit to follow the victim even when it tries to flee. The psychological warfare gets more advanced when Voodoom starts to make use of its pins with Acupressure and Pin Missile (Doug's "throwing knives" idea), as well as showing definite signs of movement (Faint Attack and Swagger) to taunt the foe further.

Now the victim has really struck a nerve. Payback and Dark Pulse really bring out the vengeful "dark side" of Voodoom (I couldn't fit in the actual move Revenge... whatever), but then the "light side" balances it out with Aura Sphere. Eventually, it starts to get desperate and tired of the keep-away game, and it suddenly rushes the enemy with Close Combat. The attacking movepool is now complete. The final three moves, however, finish off the victim through the ultimate mindgames. Voodoom's hypnotic powers (Hypnosis doesn't exactly work considering what's going on) culminate with Psycho Shift and Snatch. Finally, the foe finishes Voodoom off, only to find that Voodoom has the last laugh with Grudge!

Inspiration

My inspiration for this concept came from several sources. The move progression itself is mostly derived directly from several other Pokémon. The transition is Honchkrow -> Infernape -> Sharpedo -> Lucario -> Banette. The four main exceptions are seen in Psycho Shift, the needle moves and the lack of Mach Punch, the last relegated to egg moves because I saw Voodoom's Speed as being derived from the sneaky tactics that tend to characterize the Dark type.

The duality concept was the result of looking at existing Pokémon concepts and rejected concept art from this project. I felt that Voodoom could be more fleshed out than just a generic evil popular-voodoo doll. Some of the artists (Yilx comes to mind at the moment) utilized the "misunderstood but benevolent" concept that is prevalent in some Dark-types (particularly Absol), but they seemed like a watering-down of the mystique of the Dark type. (Absol made up for this with its appearances being warnings of disaster rather than bringers of disaster.) I considered the fact that real Louisiana voodoo was extremely different from "popular voodoo" in that the pins are meant to bless, rather than to curse. I then realized that Voodoom consisted of two halves stitched together and came up with the duality concept.

There are two ways to consider the halves. The first, probably more obvious, way is to consider the left and right halves. The second way is to consider each color as representative of each "side". Right now, I'm inclined to go with the latter.

For me, the voodoo doll concept is all about the paranoia and misinformation arising from popular distortions of the original mythology, notably horror movies (I mentioned Child's Play in the name submission thread). Subtle nods to Voodoom's real nature include Aura Sphere and Psycho Shift. An idea I had is that one side can only use Dark Pulse, and the other only Aura Sphere. Additionally, Psycho Shift plays on the placebo effect, as the victim believes that it is being cursed when it's all merely a bodily reaction to a trick of the mind.

More on the concept, particularly aspects that seem curiously absent, is explained in explanations of the rest of the movepool.

And with that, I propose the following entry:

"It is imbued with both a pure blessing and an evil curse. It taps into each by sticking a pin into an appropriate location on its body. It feeds off of thunderstorms using the needle piercing its heart."

Also just call Voodoom the Voodoo Pokémon, seriously.

VOODOOM: Pinprick Pokemon

Its body contains the energies of a thunderbolt...and something else. By pricking itself, it can unleash this power to use potent aura attacks.

If Voodoll charges enough energy, it will gain the power to evolve into this Pokemon.

It is said that if you feel like you're constantly being hit by pinpricks while you aren't anywhere at all spooky, a Voodoom has decided to bewitch you.

Yay for the return of flavor to CAP mainstream!

BTW, Voodoll dex entry:

VOODOLL: Voodoo Doll Pokemon

Less caring trainers will often throw this Pokemon to launch their rivals into embarrassing situations.

<HD_AFK> "When Arceus made the Pokemon world, he relegated the regal position of equalizing pain between all Pokemon to VOODOOM."

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
For flavor reasonings (and partly because I just want to), I'm doing an entry for both Voodoll and Voodoom. The Voodoom entries is the only one that should be taken seriously. I will edit this post with my Final Submission. I'd like some opinions on all of my entries.

Voodoll
The Victim Pokemon

"It searches its whole life for a friend, but is often mistreated. The cheerful TOGEPI is said to be the only Pokemon willing to be its friend."

FINAL SUBMISSION

Voodoom
The Retribution Pokemon

"It is said that its insides are very sensitive. It reminds itself of the pain it once endured by constantly pricking itself with its many pins."

VOODOOM, the Voodoo POKEMON

"A mistreated Voodoo doll brought to life by an electric shock, VOODOOM uses its magical needles to retaliate against those that have brought it pain."

I would like some comments on the syntax and word choice. I will go ahead and call this my Final Submission and I will edit in changes later if necessary.

I considered going with "the Revenge/Retribution/Retaliation POKEMON", but overall the Voodoo aspect is more descriptive than anything else that can be said about it.

VOODOOM, the Voodoo Pokemon.

It stabs itself with pins and needles to harness destructive powers. It uses those powers to decimate opponents indirectly.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It seems people really liked my first dex entry, so I will probably be making that the basis of future submissions. However, I also wanted to mention something about the other pins and address its Fighting-type, so I'm thinking of combining two of the entries. I also slightly modified the initial entry:

Voodoom, the Pain Pokemon.

"VOODOOM has stuck a pin in its heart to make sure it never feels anything but pain again. It is said that its true potential is only unlocked when it feels loved enough to take the pin out. The other pins on its body represent opponents defeated in combat; the pins allow it to share in the pain it has caused."

Should I go with something like that or just try to choose between my two most popular original entries? Those were:

"VOODOOM has stuck a pin in its heart to make sure it never feels anything but pain again. It is said that its true potential is only unlocked when it feels loved enough to take the pin out."

"They often gather on stormy nights and spar on remote hills. The victor gets to take a pin from the loser; for this reason, the strongest VOODOOM are usually bristling with pins."

I kinda don't want to make the dex entry too long or have the two sentences be unrelated, but I also want to try and work in both aspects of the flavor into the entry, and the combined entry is my best attempt at that. Some input on this would be appreciated!

VOODOOM, the Voodoo Pokemon

"The needle in its heart symbolizes the excruciation that VOODOOM has gone through to evolve. Pins stuck in its body ensure eternal pain and makes it a dark, vengeful POKEMON."

"The pins stuck in VOODOOM's body cause pain with every movement. Although its body is worn and tattered, its mind fills with dark thoughts, seeking revenge on those who have made it suffer."

I'm kinda torn between these two, can someone help me decide?

Voodoom, the Pain Pokemon.

"VOODOOM has stuck a pin in its heart to make sure it never feels anything again. It is said that its true potential is only unlocked when it feels loved enough to take the pin out."

"It can sense heartbreak. Despite its violent and misunderstood nature, it offers comfort to any other creature in strife."

"Contrary to popular belief, it rarely uses its dark powers to cause harm unless commanded by a trainer. It prefers to absorb the pain of innocents and loved ones."

"Its fighting style is astonishingly brutal and efficient. After a challenger is defeated, however, it will always help them recover from their wounds."
I'm totally digging the whole "It's just a misunderstood creature" approach towards the Pokemon. It really make me feel more sympathize towards it's plight (if he's in some kind of plight however). Your first entry is truly a winner in my eyes, displaying that the pin through his heart is a limiter to both his power and his emotions.

BTW, Wow...the PokeDex is back, I'm shocked.

VOODOOM, the grudge Pokemon.

VOODOOM seeks to cause pain wherever, whenever, and however possible. Only a truly joyous being can befriend a VOODOOM; all others beware.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think alot of people pairing Togekiss with Voodom haven't checked Togekiss' dex, because Togekiss only spreads joy where there is no strife. It doesn't normally give joy to things like Voodom, it avoids them.

Final Submission

VOODOOM, the Strife Pokemon.

Its purpose in life is to share pain and turmoil with another. Ironically, TOGEKISS often decide to befriend it.

"Its mystical abilities are often associated with the occult. Long ago, its owners were often accused of using VOODOOM for witchcraft."

Just finished reading the Crucible, so this seemed relevant.

I've got a few ideas...which one do y'all think is the best?

"During stormy nights, groups of VOODOOM gather deep in the forest. They leave behind strange symbols inscribed into the dirt."

"The pin in VOODOOM's heart courses with electrical energy. It is said that if the pin is removed, this Pokemon would revert to a lifeless doll."

"VOODOOM is a master of the black arts. However, the one thing it cannot conjure is a friend for itself."

Either way, I think the species name I submit will be "the Vengeance Pokemon". Anything can cause pain, but voodoo is first and foremost a means of revenge. I guess "the voodoo Pokemon" would work too, but in conjunction with the obvious pun in the name it seems like overkill to me.

I only joined recently, but I decided to make a few pokedex entries for voodoom. This is what I came up with:

Voodoom, the Voodoo Pokémon

"VOODOOM is a VOODOLL who was stabbed through the heart, killing it. It was then reanimated with a strike of lightning. It now wanders the earth seeking vengeance on those who hurt it in its past life."

"When a VOODOLL’s sadness turns into hate, it evolves into VOODOOM. VOODOOM seeks revenge against those who have hurt it, damaging itself more in the process."

"VOODOOM is a VOODOLL who is fed up with taking punishment, and now wants revenge on those who have caused its pain and misery."

"VOODOOM seeks to get revenge on all that have hurt it, but it only hurts itself more as it does so."

Comments? Which one do you think is best?

I has two that I've yet to decide upon.
I figure I'll let others decide for me.

VOODOOM, the Pain Pokémon

"Animated by a bolt of lightning, VOODOOM are lonely Pokémon due to the fact that their appearances repel people. Despite this, they find friendship through other Pokémon such as TOGEKISS."

"Given the gift of life by lightning but fueled by pain, a VOODOOM often carries hatred in its soul. To relieve itself, it often shares it pain by forcing it upon other Pokémon."

I've been following this CAP and just wanted to throw my idea out there. It was hard slimming it down, but I wanted it to stay true to Game Freak's wordiness.

VOODOOM, the Voodoo Pokémon

Non-Togekiss entry:

"Years of torment haunts VOODOOM, it seeks out revenge for every abuse pinned on it."

Togekiss entry:

"VOODOOM who complete their revenge wander aimlessly; though sometimes they follow TOGEKISS to find happiness."

Taking a crack at this:

"As a VOODOOM matures, the pin in its chest will start to deform and sink deeper into its heart. The oldest VOODOOM are known to have an almost unrecognizable pin - and are usually the most malicious."

"The pin in VOODOOM's heart is a measurement of how happy it is - the darker the needle, the more spiteful VOODOOM are known to be."

"Groups of VOODOOM are known to torment lone CACNEA, in order to harvest the needles on their arms."

Also, I was considering adding a second part onto my last entry:

"Ironically, VOODOOM commonly befriend wild CACTURNE, as their personalities are similar."

EDIT: This is my favorite so far.
"They often gather on stormy nights and spar on remote hills. The victor gets to take a pin from the loser; for this reason, the strongest VOODOOM are usually bristling with pins."

breh

強いだね
Voodoom, the Voodoo Pokemon (if this seems unrelated, blastoise is a shellfish pokemon lol)

A normally docile Pokemon, VOODOOM absorbs the anger and distress of others and releases the pent up rage when provoked, giving it a fierce will to fight. The more pain VOODOOM has stored, the deeper its needles go into its flesh.

Seriously it's really a pity that it learns neither Bide nor Rage, lol

Also note that it absorbs anger; thus it has a cleansing effect on its environment, allowing togekiss to come in (no strife)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)