CAP 11 CAP 11 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike all of the sprites with the wand in hand. One of the most important stylistic and flavor features of Voodoom is that the needle pierces the heart. I think that a lot of people will echo this sentiment when the polls come around, despite what the select fanboys of the idea say here. Without the needle piercing the heart and instead with it as some sort of farfetch'd sword, I feel that the sprites lose a lot of what makes them even make sense as a voodoo doll that mirrors pain to its intended target.
I could not agree more strongly. The needle through the heart I feel is key to this pokemons design, however, Scoopapa's hand on hilt pose adresses a compromise of these ideas nicely. Looking forwards to seeing more.

Still working on my design a little but not sure I'll make a final submission, at this stage it's more for fun and as a learning experience as the quality really dosnt live up to you guys' high standards...

Wyverii's sprite is my favourite thus far. Her Voodoom exudes a aura of quiet menace, which is perfect for a Dark-type. I'm picturing it as a bit of a serial killer; Voodoom stalks his (or her!) victim before the inevitable bloodbath.

I'm probably looking too much into this, but, whatever.

EDIT: Also, aragornbird, the first sprite is the better one.

Honestly I find DougJustDoug's concept art to be perfectly good as a sprite. Its pose is very balanced and evokes strength just as a fighting type should. I see people making the sprites look all ragdollish and sad looking and I'm not particularly a fan of Wyveril's because it makes it look more like a zombie monster looking thing in opposed to a doll of might that don't take no **** from nobody.

P.S. I like Gun6's more, but i think you should make its left hand into a more fist shape. than it is now

DarthVader317: A very nice pose! I think that looks menacing and still holds the original quality of DougJustDoug's art. CAP11's right arm is bigger than its left though. It looks a little disjointed and swollen compared to the other arm. It may just be me, but that is the only thing I can see that I would change. A really powerful pose, can't wait to see it finished.

OMG Wyverii's sprite is awesome. I love the pose, it definately brings out both types, while not overriding the original art. A little more fighting would be great but the zombie thing might actually emphasize the fighting type because zombies like kill people.

Honestly I find DougJustDoug's concept art to be perfectly good as a sprite. Its pose is very balanced and evokes strength just as a fighting type should. I see people making the sprites look all ragdollish and sad looking and I'm not particularly a fan of Wyveril's because it makes it look more like a zombie monster looking thing in opposed to a doll of might that don't take no **** from nobody.

P.S. I like Gun6's more, but i think you should make its left hand into a more fist shape. than it is now

Does this look any better than what I had?

Finished my back sprite. The pose is raising is hand, ready to do some special attack.

Here are the four:

Edit: Alternate idea for the back sprite:

Which do you all like better?

not sure how I feel about the raised hand, otherwise absolutely kickin'. And even that's just a stylistic thing. If you prefer the raised hand, it's your own opinion.

Well, here we go again…

Wyverii:

I really like the shiny color choice you’ve made for your sprites: the colors work together very well. The back sprite is also very good, which is important because anybody who is going to be using CAP 11 is going to be looking at that back sprite during the battle. Seeing the female’s heart broken is an interesting take on the gender difference.

I can’t say I fancy the color on the lighter fabric: it just seems a touch dark to me, so making the color a little lighter should be fine. I also think you missed re-coloring the pins on the shiny. What really bothers me, though, is that there seems to be a large “bump” on CAP 11’s hip. I assume that you’re probably trying to include CAP 11’s rump or something, but it just doesn’t look like it belongs there.

DarthVader317:

This is a pretty nice product so far overall: the pose is interesting, the color scheme is good, the stitching looks fine, and the right eye button is obviously broken (as it is in DougJustDoug’s artwork). It’s got a lot of things I have been looking for in the sprite.

The only thing I see is that your sprite does not look like its looking at the opponent: it looks more like it’s looking down at the ground or at its fist. Having the head tilted upwards a little bit should alleviate the problem.

Tombadil:

You’re welcome: I try to be helpful. Also, if you don’t plan on making a final submission and instead intend to do this as a learning experience, that’s fine to. I’ll still comment should you post any more updates, obviously.

Anyways, this is certainly an improvement from the original, that I’ll tell you for sure. The colors also look brighter now than they appeared before (I don’t know whether that’s a perception thing based on the fact that the sprite has been improved upon or if you adjusted the palette). I do see a couple of dots you might have missed: one on the right arm and one on the left hand. Other than that, the dots are gone.

The first new thing I want to address this time regards to the outline. Instead of having a solid black outline (wich I don’t think works with this sprite), I would just make it a distinguishably darker shade from the various parts of the sprite (i.e. a tad darker shade of the light brown where the outline is around the light brown parts, a tad darker shade of the grayish-brown that outlines the areas where the grayish-brown parts are, and so on… look at other sprites on here and I think you’ll see what I mean). The stitches should remain black, though. Also, there should be a little more contrast between what you have shaded and what is left unshaded. Some light areas would also do this sprite some favors.

Again, your sprite has certainly improved from when you showed us the original. Keep it up and, like I said before, you should have a pretty good sprite on your hands.

Aragornbird:

First off, the sewing needles looks a lot better with its eye. I also think both poses are good: I already commented upon the first one, so I’ll say that the second one does achieve the “fast” idea that you were going for.

I think the original pose is better, to be frank with you. If you want to use that second pose, I would actually recommend making both frames in an animated sprite (obviously, you would have to keep the pin-placement consistent if you were going to do something like that). The main reason why I say that is because the second pose is pretty dynamic: though not quite over the “too dynamic” line, it does come close (then again, there are official sprites that do that too, ala Flygon’s sprite).

---

Keep up the good work everybody! These sprites are starting to turn out great.

choascrippler needs to come in here and do some owning. his are always my favorite sprites.

Gun6
has, however, an excellent sprite. I think it's the only one here at the moment that captures this pokemon right.

The image has bad quality due to host.
Got bored thought i'd share what i thought would be the best pose/color. I am by no means a good Pokemon sprite'r. XD I used some of Wvveriis sprite colors for shiny and the basic shape for the left arm.I also used aragornbird's idea for the "come and get it" pose, and i liked how Darth Vader's sprite Fists was shaped so it was all inspired by that . :naughty:

Ah well. I'll just upload it from my album.

Can't even wish to be like some of these sprite artists here (like Argornbird or Gun6), but here's the basic front male sprite. Please comment and criticize. Thanks!

Finished sprite is the fourth one.

Ah well. I'll just upload it from my album.

Can't even wish to be like some of these sprite artists here (like Argornbird or Gun6), but here's the basic front male sprite. Please comment and criticize. Thanks!

Finished sprite is the fourth one.

You should consider condensing your double post into one post.

Welcome to smogon. Your sprite need some posing and outline work. It's a good start though.

aragornbird, Sleet, and DarthVader317 have the best sprites so far. Most of the others look limp, and don't give off the fighting-type finesse as these guys.

aragornbird-your 1st sprite has an excellent stance, keep it.

did a bit on the eyes and the pins and the heart and the mouth
Constructive criticism would be nice

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Here's what I got so far. I tried a pose with it holding the needle, but it didn't have the same feel as the original art.
You're onto something with the pose. And good call on leaving the needle alone, he doesn't look quite right trying to wield it like some kind of swordmaster. This dude is way too brawny for that. Keep working on it, I think this idea has a lot of potential.

DarthVader317, I've got a very minor nitpick: the bottom pin. From the angle and length, it looks more like it's sticking out the back than the front... I'd suggest you either shorten it, change the angle, or just erase the bit where it overlaps with the main body so it's now just coming out of the back. Right now it looks a little weird.

EDIT in response to Xatu_fan: As for the needle going through its back, I like it how it is. I think the long length of the needle adds to the menace of the sprite, and also makes it look more balanced (as the doll's leaning forwards).

DarthVader317, I like your pose and I think you should do what the above person sais, and also try shortining the needle that goes through the heart a bit, it's a bit to long, but it's a good start and you're on to something ^^

Does this look any better than what I had?
Oh my god, I am loving that pose. Stick with this pose, it's just that great. Although there is something off about the sprite itself, I just can't put my finger on it. But this is by far my favorite sprite so far. Keep up the good work!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Really nice sprites are in the works. I agree with the comments in the thread that the needle is best left inserted in the heart. I think one of the striking aspects of the design that makes it really obvious that this is a voodoo doll, is seeing the needle in the heart -- and it's even better if you can see that the needle penetrates all the way through and exits the back.

Wyverii has my favorite so far. The stalker pose is very well done. The impression of walking comes off perfectly. I'd stand up the pin on the top of its head a bit more. Right now, it looks like it's kind of drooping to the right, and looks a little off because of it. The doll's left arm and hand (our right, the doll's left) looks a little too narrow. Maybe you did this for perspective, or because the hand is turned so as to give us a view from the side of the hand, which on humans, means the hand is flat and wide. But, it doesn't look like the hand of a stuffed doll. Overall great work, whether you change it or not. I love it!

Aragornbird has my favorite design amongst those that are holding the needle. I definitely prefer your first pose to the second one. You drew the head rounder and give a slight impression of a neck. Not sure I like that, but perhaps when fully shaded, I may like it more.

Gun6 has a great interpretation of the original design, and has incorporated details wonderfully. All the linework on the upper left side of the sprite looks a little wobbly. I think it needs to smooth out a bit. The doll's left arm and hand (our right, the doll's left) is in a weird position. The shoulder arcs improperly for that hand position, or the hand position is wrong for the shoulder arc -- change one or both. The doll's right eye (our left, the doll's right) is just a blob of pixels. I know it's hard to work with details like the stiching of an eye button in such a small area, but the way you have it isn't working. Maybe expand the eye to give a little more room to work with?

PenguinX has the most personality of all the sprites. I really love the whimsical look. I also like the stitching on the bottom of the feet. The doll's left arm and hand (our right, the doll's left) doesn't look right. I think I know the position you are going for there, but it's not working visually. Maybe it's the shading, or maybe it's just a tough position to pull off in sprite form. I'm not sure. But I love your style!

DarthVader317 has a great start and pose. Very strong commanding position and demeanor. The needle looks unnaturally long extending out the back. I'd shorten it considerably. The right hand (our left, the doll's right) looks rolled up too much, not like it's making a fist. If you just "unroll" it a little bit, I think it will look right. Great work on this one. I always love your CAP sprite entries and this design really suits your style.

I'll comment more on some others when I get some time. Great work from all the spriters!!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
OMG It's shaded!

Kept the first pose as many people suggested. Stuck the needle back through its heart, which gave me more room at the top so I can make the sprite slightly taller and position the pins on its head differently. Will work on shiny forms soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)