CAP 11 CAP 11 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some more work on it, including making a female and shiny form, as well as doing backsprites. Once again, any thoughts? I decided to enhance the beaten up look of the sprite by making one of the threads loose on the back, with the fabric split. I was also considering adding patches in small areas, or would that be a little too clichéd?
I think this one looks a bit like a gingerbread man :/ i.e a bit flat. This is mostly around the right side of the head. Perhaps you can do something with the shading of the design to fix that, although it might just be me!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Shiny time

I picked each color for a reason. Black is a constant, nothing says dark better. Red gives the illusion of blood, orange and black is reminiscent of Halloween, and Green for a Frankenstein effect. Which do you like best? Are the Green and Orange too bright?

I just finished making the sprites for the new pose.

EDIT: @aragornbird: Oh look it's the Teenage Mutan- I like the red. :)

Shiny time

*pic*

I picked each color for a reason. Black is a constant, nothing says dark better. Red gives the illusion of blood, orange and black is reminiscent of Halloween, and Green for a Frankenstein effect. Which do you like best? Are the Green and Orange too bright?
Is it possible to get a darker green? The current green is "radio-active" green o.o
The red and the green are better. The orange hurts my eyes >_<"

I just finished making the sprites for the new pose.

EDIT: @aragornbird: Oh look it's the Teenage Mutan- I like the red. :)
I really like your design here but I have a quick comment about the gender differences. I like the idea of the spots on one piece of fabric, but I was wondering if you might consider just making them polka dots instead of hearts. I think the hearts just look sort of strange on this Fighting/Dark brutal Pokemon and the polka dots seem a little more fitting. Either way, I like your subtle gender difference a lot!

I finally decided to submit something as well. So here goes the Frontsprite, both Shiny and normal.

It´s meant to be walking towards the player, like a zombie. Feedback is gladly accepted, especially on the pose, shiny colors I´ve taken and (very important) if my shadows are intense enough. I´m not sure.
I didn´t color the outlines in these, that comes as soon as I am finished with choosing colors.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Aragornbird -- I prefer the red and black "Deadpool Shiny" (all you comic book fans should know what I'm talking about). The Orange shiny looks nice too. Overall, your new front sprite looks VERY GOOD. I love the pose and the new needle placement.

Yippee. My first post!
Anyways, aragonbird, your sprite is my favorite so far, but it'd be sweet if you beef up the biceps and triceps on that thing.
It'd really look like a fighting type then.
...Well, y'know, buff-big, not steroids-big...

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Attempted to fix his left hand, I think it looks a little better than before.

Edited out the backsprite. Thanks Elevator Music.

Aragornbird: Just lovely. I really like the attention to detail inasmuch as things aren't too prominent nor are they too blended (for example, the stitchings). Your shiny forms are really cool, especially the inverted black and white eyes. Maybe you should try a white and black version, though, because I think that might be a bit creepier, if it doesn't just look like an oreo.

Just thought I'd try out some different bits of wear and tear. I think having them all on makes it look a little cluttered but at least you can get an idea of what each little detail might look like, what you all prefer, and how much wear the sprite should have.

In other news, I'm pretty much finalising the design now, since I'm going away tomorrow morning so this will be my last chance to make a final submission before the polls.

hi,
I think it's time to post my sprites here now
They aren't even close of being done, but it's nice to hear some opions about them.

From now I got both front and back sprite, but I'm still busy with shading them properly. The front sprite also doens't have the right colors of outlining and doens't have his pins yet.

But more to update, but really would like some comments.​

Um ... the front sprite is facing the wrong way. I think a simple horizontal flip and shading adjustments will fix this.

Final Submission

[Male Front][Female Front][Male Front (Shiny)][Female Front (Shiny)]
[Male Back][Female Back][Male Back (Shiny)][Female Back (Shiny)]

Just thought I'd cut to the chase and get these submitted, since this is my last chance. I decided against the wear and tear in the end, as I felt it just cluttered up the sprite a bit too much. Good luck to all the competitors, I'm a big fan of this design, and I know that whichever way it goes this CAP will have a great sprite!

@ aragornbird - I think that you should use the black/green scheme for the shiny sprite but make the green color a lot darker to give it a more eerie and unpleasant look. The green you have now is too happy-looking for a fighting-dark sprite. I certainly do love the color green though. A dark green/black sprite of yours would certainly have my vote.

aragornbird i say u should stick to red and black for the shiny!!! i was gonna say orange but wen Doug mentioned deadpool i immediately changed my mind! i hope u choose that one

And, now, for the next round of comments and criticisms from yours truly…

Chaoscrippler:

OMG, it’s Frankenstein’s monster!

That’s fine with me, though. It reminds me of what DougJustDoug said about how CAP 11 is “reanimated ala Frankenstein’s monster” or something along those lines when he talked about how he planned on justifying Volt Absorb and Lightningrod. It’s pretty creepy, and it’s creepy in a bad-ass way. The way it looks like it’s about to draw the sewing needle like a sword from its hilt also rocks and works into the design itself quite well. The shiny choice is also looks awesome.

My only gripe lies with the back sprite. That sewing needle sticking out of the back of him looks a touch too thick to me. Making that sewing needle thinner would be nice. I can’t wait to see the female version of this guy.

Aragornbird:

I really like the adjustments you’ve made to the original pose: I think you should get more support that way (since I was hearing people say they didn’t like that the sprite had the sewing needle out of its heart). The pose without the needle in hand (like a sword) is just as great as the original pose.

Out of the shinies you have presented us with so far, I think the red one is the best, with the green one being a second favorite (green is my favorite color, so guess why I say that). If you think the green and orange are too bright, you could experiment with different shades: I don’t think they are, but if you’re worried about that, then mess around with it for a little bit and see if you can’t get a green and orange you don’t have to worry about the brightness of.

DarthVader317:

I thought that your female was a shiny there for a second. Nevertheless, I like the approach you have taken with the female: reminds me of Hippopotas and Hippowdon in that way. I also like the improvements you have made so far.

That said, I think the head ought to be tilted up a little more: it still looks like it is looking down. The pin on your sprite’s left leg also looks to me like it was bent a little: you may want to straighten that pin out a little bit. Other than that, your sprites look great.

Elevator Music:

I think the back sprite is pretty good so far. I can’t think of any improvements right off hand that it needs, but since this is a rough draft, you probably have some revisions in mind anyway.

Personally, I thought that the original color scheme was better. The colors were brighter, as one would expect from a sprite. It’s your sprite, so if you like this color scheme better, however, that is totally up to you: just tossing my two cents into the pot, ‘tis all.

Anyways, it's always great to see how these sprites are progressing. Keep it up, everybody!

Chaoscrippler, yours is the most Fighting-esque sprite so far, just from the pose. I agree that the needle could be thinner, especially in the backsprite, and some of the shading is a little off in the right arm, but overall it looks good, and I like the shiny colors.[/runon]

Final Submission:

Male Front/Male Front Shiny/Female Front/Female Front Shiny
Male Back/Male Back Shiny/Female Back/Female Back Shiny

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shiny time

I was actually thinking Green in the context of the Riddler. That one's a keeper

@ Chaos: You should fix up the head a little. The stitches make it looks like some sort of goofy smiling goon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)