The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Brutal helmet-to-helmet hit, hope Bell's okay.

also lol @ Sanders doing Ray Lewis' dance; didn't see him doing it after the dropped 2 pt conversion tho
I saw the dance, it actually got me really pissed off and im just a spectator. I could only imagine the target he would have painted on his back!

He was looking straight at Jones and laughed afterwards. Whenever we play in our games and a coach is on the sideline, he moves out of the way well before the dude gets there. Tomlin has been classy as a coach but I have to agree with this, that was intentional as fuck
alternatively, he was watching in the scoreboard and jumped out of the way once he realized the guy standing in the way was himself

didn't see most of the game, but that helmet rule is silly. the rule should be changed to be similar to the "inadvertent whistle" rule. the play should be blown dead once the helmet comes off, but it shouldn't be challengeable/moveable from where it's spotted on the field. the rule for safety, and was anyone made safer by calling the touchdown back??? it already happened, it should have stayed "happened."

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't say it was for sure NOT intentional, just that you can't make that assumption outright. The replay shows Tomlin looking AWAY from Jones (where do you get this looking straight at him stuff?), and jumping out of the way at the last second when he realizes he's in the way. He was already in that spot standing before the kick was even taken, so there was no guarantee the return would make it that far or even be on that sideline. Sure it MIGHT have been intentional and he was laughing at his cheating success, but it also might have been unintentional and he was laughing away his own embarrassment. We don't know for sure, so there's no need to make inflammatory comments about the character of the entire Steelers organization and fanbase.

As for the rule, I understand why it's there and I agree with the sentiment of player safety, but there should be discretion in cases like that where the player obviously crosses the goal line as part of the same body movement that was occurring when he lost his helmet. I'm cool with whistling a play dead as soon as a helmet comes off, but in a case like that you should credit the runner with the yards he picked up.

In other news, I really laughed at Bell doing the Carlton dance after his TD. That's a rare case where I fully support and enjoy a touchdown dance.

didn't see most of the game, but that helmet rule is silly. the rule should be changed to be similar to the "inadvertent whistle" rule. the play should be blown dead once the helmet comes off, but it shouldn't be challengeable/moveable from where it's spotted on the field. the rule for safety, and was anyone made safer by calling the touchdown back??? it already happened, it should have stayed "happened."
I guess the idea is that the defenders stopped playing the moment the helmet came off, since the play should have been dead at that instant. Of course we know no one actually did that.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess the idea is that the defenders stopped playing the moment the helmet came off, since the play should have been dead at that instant. Of course we know no one actually did that.
This would be more likely if there was more time lapse after the helmet came off. The thing is Bell was already on his way to the goal line, and his forward motion carried him across the plane in literally the same instant as the hit that knocked his helmet off. There is no way a person can even say the Ravens defenders had enough time to react to the helmet and "stop trying" before Bell crossed the line. In the end it worked out and Pittsburgh got the TD anyway, but it should have been called one on that play and not wasted an additional 45s.

Sad part is if Suisham didn't make that mistake on the FG in the first half, Pittsburgh wins this game (or, at least, takes the lead with that TD at the end and forces the Ravens to have to accomplish another drive to win). Just goes to show how crucial almost every play is in the NFL.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice the unusual number of plays where guys got tackled inches short of the goal line? I think that happened like 5 times.

Last edited:
This would be more likely if there was more time lapse after the helmet came off. The thing is Bell was already on his way to the goal line, and his forward motion carried him across the plane in literally the same instant as the hit that knocked his helmet off. There is no way a person can even say the Ravens defenders had enough time to react to the helmet and "stop trying" before Bell crossed the line. In the end it worked out and Pittsburgh got the TD anyway, but it should have been called one on that play and not wasted an additional 45s.

Sad part is if Suisham didn't make that mistake on the FG in the first half, Pittsburgh wins this game (or, at least, takes the lead with that TD at the end and forces the Ravens to have to accomplish another drive to win). Just goes to show how crucial almost every play is in the NFL.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice the unusual number of plays where guys got tackled inches short of the goal line? I think that happened like 5 times.
Yeah, I see what you're saying with the helmet thing, and I agree with it, because no defender reacts that fast when the guy is already at the half yard line and in the process of going into it. Also most players just keep playing until they hear a whistle, even if it's pretty obvious the play should be dead.

And I think that was the 3rd time the Steelers had a TD negated by replay showing they were short of the goal line. Throw in a couple more downs where they were at the line but clearly got stopped short and it didn't take a review.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Concussions are scary man, but the most serious ones often look goofy on the field (the fencing response is typical in situations like that and that's probably what Jennings would have been doing if his arms weren't pushing against the turf). That's why for the longest time people would laugh them off saying they had their "bell rung" or something.

Also wow I wanted the Ravens to win that game but not by destroying half the Steelers' roster and benefiting from a ruling intended to promote player safety but that might, in extreme circumstances, actually reward heavy hits to the head to try to pop helmets off (which would normally be penalized, in all actuality, but I guess the refs had a hard time faulting anyone in particular for that contact or couldn't catch it real-time and can't exactly call penalties just because they see a concussion). That game was ugly and suspenseful (as it always is), but the injuries kinda marred the whole experience.

I didn't say it was for sure NOT intentional, just that you can't make that assumption outright. The replay shows Tomlin looking AWAY from Jones (where do you get this looking straight at him stuff?), and jumping out of the way at the last second when he realizes he's in the way. He was already in that spot standing before the kick was even taken, so there was no guarantee the return would make it that far or even be on that sideline. Sure it MIGHT have been intentional and he was laughing at his cheating success, but it also might have been unintentional and he was laughing away his own embarrassment. We don't know for sure, so there's no need to make inflammatory comments about the character of the entire Steelers organization and fanbase.

As for the rule, I understand why it's there and I agree with the sentiment of player safety, but there should be discretion in cases like that where the player obviously crosses the goal line as part of the same body movement that was occurring when he lost his helmet. I'm cool with whistling a play dead as soon as a helmet comes off, but in a case like that you should credit the runner with the yards he picked up.

In other news, I really laughed at Bell doing the Carlton dance after his TD. That's a rare case where I fully support and enjoy a touchdown dance.

HE NEVER EVEN SAW JONES!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
That replay is in slow motion, which makes it appear as though he saw Jones for longer than he did. In real time, that was just him turning his head to see Jones in enough time to jump out of the way.

Or it could have been intentional, hell if I know. I'm just trying to make the point that you can't assume anything because all we see is what's on the video, not what is in his head.

I really hope Jennings is alright, knowing that McFadden will probably start next week and get hurt next week is not reassuring :(

Yeah I'm not seeing the humor in this.

I'm tired of seeing concussions during every single game I watch. It's really getting out of hand

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I see some teams that wear those newer helmets and other teams that still wear the older style. I wonder if the new designs really help to prevent concussions?

Another thing that could help reduce concussions is to simply ban Brandon Meriweather and Bernard Pollard from football.

There's no reason he should've been standing that close to the field anyway, he's supposed to be behind that HUGE WHITE SPACE anyway let alone merely off the field of play.
every single coach stands there in every game, in both college and the NFL

it's not something that's heavily enforced, and in retrospect it seems like common sense (doubly so because he's the only coach in the shot to be standing there) but coaches stand there all the time

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I highly doubt they'll lose a draft pick over it. I certainly see a fine and probably even a suspension coming (which would both be completely deserved), but to dock them a draft pick would be uber amounts of overkill considering the nature and severity of the incident. If this were something that had occurred before and was documented to be intentional I could maybe see it, but the fact that this is an isolated incident and they can't even prove he did it on purpose makes a punishment like that completely unnecessary. I don't think the NFL is that stupid, and they are probably just using this threat as a warning to other teams that they mean business and future incidents will receive more severe penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)