XY OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY (MAKING A NEW THREAD)

Really, this thread isn't the place for arguments over Milotic's viability, that would be Milotic's analysis. Please don't discuss that stuff here, Fuzznip made a post a while back explaining that it should really only be used for a few things. But, having used Milotic, I will address your points. Milotic's role is on Hyper Offensive (usually Deoxys) teams. It fills a similar role to Bisharp, punishing your opponent for using Defog. Milotic can actually hit quite hard, and it's an effective alternative to Bisharp or Thundurus as a Defog punisher if your team needs a special Pokemon instead. This is not a small niche, it's a very common situation to have your opponent trying to Defog against your team, and Milotic is good at taking advantage, is reasonably powerful beforehand, and is quite powerful if it gets a boost from that.

Also, a general note. If you're bringing up a Pokemon like Spiritomb, Wigglytuff, or Accelgor that either didn't get an analysis last generation or lost its niche from last generation, simple theorymon won't be enough for anyone to take you seriously. A while back, when I was getting started on Smogon, I made a case for Umbreon here. At first, I just made my argument based on my experience with Umbreon (which is also something lacking from your proposals, you guys don't really give any indication that you've tested these Pokemon, since your strategies are, for the most part, unreliable at best) but that wasn't nearly enough, so they asked me to provide some replays. You need to show that the Pokemon you're suggesting, especially if it's an unlikely choice in OU, works in practice consistently against reasonably skilled opponents. If you can't do that, then you either don't have the experience to be writing an analysis for it, or the Pokemon is not viable.

Realistically, yes, Defog is common. And yeah, Milotic distinguishes itself from Bisharp and Thundurus. But mostly, Milotic practically relies on a Competitive boost to be truly effective.

And as I wanted to prevent unfolding this to a larger extent, I will leave it at that.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm all for discussing Milotic's viability, but please do it in the Milotic thread in the C&C forums. Not in here.

Tyrantrum was considered and rejected. Later when Rock Head becomes available and it can use a no recoil Head Smash, we'll reconsider, but for now it's not really viable.
Have you considered the Strong Jaw Dragon Dance set? It's got gnarly coverage with the elemental fangs + other good STABs + Crunch.

Since not everyone has access to Volcarona can either Venomoth or Vivillon get analysis? They both have pros and cons over each other.

Vivillon's set would abuse Compound Eyes, and Venomoth would Baton Pass a Quiver Dance. Vivillon's moves would be Sleep Powder to start Quiver Dancing and an accurate Hurricane. Venomoth is more useful as the only Baton Passer with Quiver Dance but he can go a more offensive route because of its ability Tinted Lens, which boosts not very effective moves.

I'll let you guys decide whether they are good enough.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Since not everyone has access to Volcarona can either Venomoth or Vivillon get analysis? They both have pros and cons over each other.

Vivillon's set would abuse Compound Eyes, and Venomoth would Baton Pass a Quiver Dance. Vivillon's moves would be Sleep Powder to start Quiver Dancing and an accurate Hurricane. Venomoth is more useful as the only Baton Passer with Quiver Dance but he can go a more offensive route because of its ability Tinted Lens, which boosts not very effective moves.

I'll let you guys decide whether they are good enough.
I agree that Venomoth deserves an analysis. But, if you want to write it, you need to prove you've used it and understand how to use it with replays. I would also normally agree Vivillon deserves one too, but its thread got closed, so it's extremely unlikely.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree that Venomoth deserves an analysis. But, if you want to write it, you need to prove you've used it and understand how to use it with replays. I would also normally agree Vivillon deserves one too, but its thread got closed, so it's extremely unlikely.
Vivillon was covered and rejected in this thread I believe. It's horribly frail+its hurricanes are still pretty pathetic

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only advantage Venemoth has over Volcarona is Baton Pass and Sleep Powder (lesser extent Tinted Lens). Also we do not write analyses based specifically on "access"; especially when anyone can get Volcarona easily by just asking someone...

Well, I know how Venomoth works but I haven't used it enough. I know the movesets and I can think of a good amount of counters and tips on how to use it. Just gimme a while to use it more and then lemme write it. Also, why hasn't Arcanine gotten a analysis?

Well, I know how Venomoth works but I haven't used it enough. I know the movesets and I can think of a good amount of counters and tips on how to use it. Just gimme a while to use it more and then lemme write it. Also, why hasn't Arcanine gotten a analysis?
Arcanine hasn't gotten an analysis because it's terribly outclassed by most physical Fire-types, such as Charizard X, Victini, Darmanitan, and Entei, who either have better speed, a higher attack stat, a stat-boosting move, a more powerful STAB, or a combination of the four.

Last edited:
Arcanine hasn't gotten an analysis because it's terribly outclassed by most physical Fire-types, such as Charizard X, Victini, Darmanitan, and Entei, who either have better speed, a higher attack stat, a stat-boosting move, a more powerful STAB, or a combination of the three.
Wow. Well, is it me or are there very few pokemon to get an analysis. I mean, what else can get one?

Almost everything, if not everything, that is OU viable and has a large enough niche already has an analysis in progress or completed.
What about Scrafty? I'm not gonna reserve btw but whoever does can enter the Dragon Dance Scrafty and HoodlumScrafty's signature set(Bulk Up, Rest cause' of Shed Skin then Drain Punch and Knock Off with specially defensive EVs and nature). If you see his videos, you know it works very well.

Wow. Well, is it me or are there very few pokemon to get an analysis. I mean, what else can get one?
Well, we actually have 140+ analyses that are either completed or being worked at the moment. Given the number of Pokemon that are actually common in OU, that's a lot.

That said, I don't think a Venomoth analysis is entirely unreasonable. It doesn't have a huge niche, but being able to Baton Pass one of the best boosting moves in the game while also having a reliable sleep move is certainly notable. Tinted Lens is okay, but Wonder Skin is pretty cool on Baton Pass sets since it lets Venomoth turn otherwise reliable status moves like Thunder Wave, Taunt, and maybe Roar/Whirlwind (if it still affects them, not sure) into coinflips. I'm not on QC, but I could see it having an analysis provided the Baton Pass set was the only one listed and the analysis made it clear that it was pretty niche.

EDIT: Not sure if anyone will see this edit, but I just found this:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-mechanics-research.3489239/page-26#post-4913184

So Roar and Whirlwind are no longer affected by Wonder Skin. Just a quick tidbit for whoever ends up writing the Venomoth analysis.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
We already rejected Scrafty. There is only one viable moveset for it anyway:

- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Venemoth is added to the list (I also am fine with it) but the writer really needs to stress its niches. Thus I am reserving my right to deny a writer if I so choose.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Venemoth is added to the list (I also am fine with it) but the writer really needs to stress its niches. Thus I am reserving my right to deny a writer if I so choose.
I would like to reserve Venomoth, I will make sure to stress its niches. I'm fine with it if you want to appoint someone else for Venomoth though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)