Official NBA 2010-11 Season Thread

Yeah, saw that on the NBA site too. From LeBrick I can understand, but Wade? I love that guy, so it sucks seeing him degrade himself like that.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've lost a lot of respect for Wade now. I played with a fever when I was 15 and the captain of my highschool team in the state championships, and even though I competed and made a couple of shots I fucking struggled to not collapse on the floor at any moment. What Dirk did was incredible (especially in the fourth quarter) with the pressure of the situation at hand and the defense he was up against. Much harder to do then LeDisappear with a "sore elbow" or a bruised hip. Complete lack of class.

I've lost a lot of respect for Wade now. I played with a fever when I was 15 and the captain of my highschool team in the state championships, and even though I competed and made a couple of shots I fucking struggled to not collapse on the floor at any moment. What Dirk did was incredible (especially in the fourth quarter) with the pressure of the situation at hand and the defense he was up against. Much harder to do then LeDisappear with a "sore elbow" or a bruised hip. Complete lack of class.
Too much stock is being put into the whole "Dirk has a fever omg" story... Im not taking shots either, but if you're sick and you choose to play thats on you, and it definitely shouldnt even be mentioned if you happen to lose. If you were guys like Lebron and Wade on the other team and you heard a guy was sick and it got out how would you feel? You'd probably feel like this guy is just creating a fall back story in case they lose

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are you kidding? If LeBron won the finals while sick that's all you'd hear about for the rest of his career. Hell, people still talk about the Finals game where Jordan did the same thing and he actually won something in his career. Why should Dirk be any different? It's a huge accomplishment even if you aren't sick.

Are you kidding? If LeBron won the finals while sick that's all you'd hear about for the rest of his career. Hell, people still talk about the Finals game where Jordan did the same thing and he actually won something in his career. Why should Dirk be any different? It's a huge accomplishment even if you aren't sick.
Everyone does it at some point though -____-... Its not new, its completely overblown all the time. His accomplishment shouldnt be any different just because he was sick, if they lost all they would've talked about was how he was sick, if you choose to play you shouldnt be held higher just because you were sick

Too much stock is being put into the whole "Dirk has a fever omg" story... Im not taking shots either, but if you're sick and you choose to play thats on you, and it definitely shouldnt even be mentioned if you happen to lose. If you were guys like Lebron and Wade on the other team and you heard a guy was sick and it got out how would you feel? You'd probably feel like this guy is just creating a fall back story in case they lose
Yeah because that should be their main concern in the NBA finals.

Yeah because that should be their main concern in the NBA finals.
Well, Lebron made it pretty clear he spent the time in between Game 4 and 5 up til 3 in the morning reading stories of writers bashing his previous performance, so you cant speak for everyone in saying their main concern is just studying film and looking for an upper hand

for an nba player, jason terry knows how to compose himself during interviews. and it's not just typical bullshit about "execution this" and "execution that" (even though it IS all about execution!).

nigga just knows what to say. also very articulate unlike them other... never mind...

especially that post-game interview on mother's day. i liked that.

Lakers, still hurt over the whole "Mavericks rocking the Lakers/playoffs" thing huh? Dirk was visibly fucked up by the second half, it was not an act. Once he realized he had no hope of shooting well (earlier than that), he focused on ripping down rebounds and saving his last effort for the fourth. Who cares if it could become a fallback thing? It did not, so how are Lebron and Wade in any way justified? These guys wanted to play basketball as pals, so they do shit like this. Dirk wants to win, so he fucking plays his game.

Dwyane Wade flops his way to one finals "win", mocks a player who was sick and beat them, and then injures himself flopping...so beyond situationally just.

Lakers, still hurt over the whole "Mavericks rocking the Lakers/playoffs" thing huh? Dirk was visibly fucked up by the second half, it was not an act. Once he realized he had no hope of shooting well (earlier than that), he focused on ripping down rebounds and saving his last effort for the fourth. Who cares if it could become a fallback thing? It did not, so how are Lebron and Wade in any way justified? These guys wanted to play basketball as pals, so they do shit like this. Dirk wants to win, so he fucking plays his game.

Dwyane Wade flops his way to one finals "win", mocks a player who was sick and beat them, and then injures himself flopping...so beyond situationally just.
we all care so much that you dislike a humble, loyal guy with the funkiest height+jumper combination in history, please do not root for us
Actually, its posts like the one above that just make me laugh at you at times....

And if you read, you'd notice im not claiming Dirk is making up a sickness to cover anything. Im generalizing how the media always overblows things and gives fans like you an excuse to use if the Mavericks did lose that game. I couldnt care less if he was sick or not, if he could play then I expect nothing less than normal Dirk. And if you want my actual homerism to come out, lets see Dirk play an entire season with a still separated pinky, like 5 other broken fingers and a bum ankle.

And Im not justifying them, but that is once again another situation that is being overblown. Ok, they handled it in a horrible way, but you should want to see stars hating stars and them taking shots at each other, not this buddy buddy shinanigans that occurs now between stars

And just to be that guy, someones still sour about 06' arent they?

Why does it make you laugh? When did Dirk Nowitzki openly petition for a trade or throw a superstar teammate under the bus? If you are going to call to Kobe in a post, then do not also call out something that rips him apart. I definitely do not care that you have a problem with the reality that Dirk is loyal and has a pretty game. That guy does not deserve to root for the Mavericks. He can stick to rooting against the Heat.

I am in favor of trash talk. I am in favor of players knocking down other players, glowering over the player they just wrecked, yelling/screaming/showboating, whatever. I am not in favor of guys mocking a guy for getting sick and then getting wrecked by that still slightly sick guy. If you think it is funny that he is sick, then expose it in the game.

Why does it make you laugh? When did Dirk Nowitzki openly petition for a trade or throw a superstar teammate under the bus? If you are going to call to Kobe in a post, then do not also call out something that rips him apart. I definitely do not care that you have a problem with the reality that Dirk is loyal and has a pretty game. That guy does not deserve to root for the Mavericks. He can stick to rooting against the Heat.

I am in favor of trash talk. I am in favor of players knocking down other players, glowering over the player they just wrecked, yelling/screaming/showboating, whatever. I am not in favor of guys mocking a guy for getting sick and then getting wrecked by that still slightly sick guy. If you think it is funny that he is sick, then expose it in the game.
its the petty homerism I laugh at... At no time was it even relevant to point out how Dirk is "humble"... He probably is, but I bet you havent even caught a glance of him let alone met him to know if he was actually humble.

I really dont get it once again, you keep mentioning Kobe like I'm the one bringing him up. Im a fan of the Lakers, not the Kobe'ers... Ive been done entertaining posts of you comparing apples to oranges, but you failed to get that notice it seems

Like I said, I wasnt justifying their actions... But you cant disagree that its better for the league in general for there to be rivalries and stars actually hating stars... If Stern didnt completely destroy the game of basketball, maybe the pushing/showboating/actual good basketball would come back

its the petty homerism I laugh at... At no time was it even relevant to point out how Dirk is "humble"... He probably is, but I bet you havent even caught a glance of him let alone met him to know if he was actually humble.

I really dont get it once again, you keep mentioning Kobe like I'm the one bringing him up. Im a fan of the Lakers, not the Kobe'ers... Ive been done entertaining posts of you comparing apples to oranges, but you failed to get that notice it seems

Like I said, I wasnt justifying their actions... But you cant disagree that its better for the league in general for there to be rivalries and stars actually hating stars... If Stern didnt completely destroy the game of basketball, maybe the pushing/showboating/actual good basketball would come back
you don't have to meet dirk in person to know that he's humble. it shows in his actions. likewise, you don't have to have met dwyane and lebron to know they are arrogant douches. and as far as its relevancy, i'd say it is extremely relevant when you're talking about disliking a good (or humble as opposed to arrogant or evil) guy for no apparent reason.

I was pretty sure the pinky thing was you talking about Kobe. Dirk has missed like 5% of his career games maximum, he plays through shit, so why does he have to prove anything to you? Why would it be relevant anyway that he did not play through something harder than someone else? A mild hardship versus a major hardship detracts from neither.

As far as "petty homerism", what? Some guy made a point to go out of his way to say that Dirk is annoying, but lol!!1 he's rooting for the Mavs because fuck the heat!1111; I have made a point to tell every person who does bullshit like that to not root for my team and generally deride them, and will continue to do both (assuming there is much more chance for it to happen in the limited timeframe left). I was reacting to a bad sports fan, I am decidedly not sorry that it is such a problem for you.

Does it look like Lebron or Wade hate Dirk, or vice versa? There are definitely players with some genuine hate for each other, but I am not seeing any in this series.

I agree with Lakers. Dirk chose to play through the fever. Players play through ailments all the time.

lol. CaptKirby is gonna hold that Lakers getting swept thing over Lakers for a long time...

I was pretty sure the pinky thing was you talking about Kobe. Dirk has missed like 5% of his career games maximum, he plays through shit, so why does he have to prove anything to you? Why would it be relevant anyway that he did not play through something harder than someone else? A mild hardship versus a major hardship detracts from neither.

As far as "petty homerism", what? Some guy made a point to go out of his way to say that Dirk is annoying, but lol!!1 he's rooting for the Mavs because fuck the heat!1111; I have made a point to tell every person who does bullshit like that to not root for my team and generally deride them, and will continue to do both (assuming there is much more chance for it to happen in the limited timeframe left). I was reacting to a bad sports fan, I am decidedly not sorry that it is such a problem for you.

Does it look like Lebron or Wade hate Dirk, or vice versa? There are definitely players with some genuine hate for each other, but I am not seeing any in this series.
I was, but I was pretty much saying how this somehow? always leads to a Kobe vs Dirk argument which never makes any sense at all

And yes, its still petty homerism... You dont think I laugh every time a bandwagon Laker fan comes on here thinking we can get Dwight Howard for a bag of basketballs? While id like to put other Laker fans in place, its completely unnecessary

This was not a bandwagon fan. This was someone saying "I hate Dirk, go Mavs because I hate the Heat!" It is a different story than the one you are peddling.

You brought up Kobe, not me, just admitted you brought him up, not me, and accused me of bringing up Kobe first. Delusional. Time to stop reading your posts again.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I'll give you my non-homer, non-hater perspective on Dirk. What he did is game 4 is not legendary. He went out to play the game knowing he wasn't at full strength, but wanted to give his team whatever he could give them. It wasn't Jordanesque by putting up 38 like he did in the flu game, but it was impressive. You have to give Dirk props for going out there and seeing his team through to victory. He performed well when it mattered most, in the 4th quarter. So while this doesn't end up on my greatest Finals moments list, it completely evaporates any notion of Dirk being soft. More than anything, it redeems his performance in 2006 and 2007, which made the Mavericks look like a big joke ("lolmavs", "Regular Season Award", etc.).

In the aftermath of Miami's Game 5 loss to the Mavericks, a CBS-11 video taken after that morning's Miami shootaround has become a national story.

In the video, Dwyane Wade and LeBron James are coughing and making joking remarks about being sick. Most who have seen the video construe it as Wade and James making fun of the fact that Dirk Nowitzki was painted as a hero for playing through a fever in Game 4.

"I just thought it was a little childish, a little ignorant," Nowitzki said Saturday, before the Mavericks' practice at American Airlines Arena. "I've been in this league for 13 years. I've never faked an injury or an illness before. But it happened. It's over to me.

"It's not going to add anything extra to me. This is the NBA Finals. If you need extra motivation, you have a problem. So we're one win away from my dream, what I've worked on for half of my life. This is really all I'm worried about."

Earlier Saturday, Wade was asked how he would feel if Jason Terry or Nowitzki walked into American Airlines Arena with an exaggerated limp _ in other words, poking fun of Wade's hip injury.

"First of all, it wasn't fake-coughing," Wade said. "I actually did cough. And with the cameras being right there, we made a joke out of it because we knew you guys were going to blow it up. You did exactly what we knew.

"We never said Dirk's name. I think he's not the only one in the world who can get sick or have a cough. We just had fun with the cameras being right in our face about the blow up of the incident, and it held to be true. You blew it up."

James' response? "I'm not feeding into that," he said. "If you guys want to feed into everything that not only myself, or D-Wade or the Miami Heat do, I think that's a non-issue. There are bigger issues in this series than that."

link

sounds like a Lakers post :)

I'll give you my non-homer, non-hater perspective on Dirk. What he did is game 4 is not legendary. He went out to play the game knowing he wasn't at full strength, but wanted to give his team whatever he could give them. It wasn't Jordanesque by putting up 38 like he did in the flu game, but it was impressive. You have to give Dirk props for going out there and seeing his team through to victory. He performed well when it mattered most, in the 4th quarter. So while this doesn't end up on my greatest Finals moments list, it completely evaporates any notion of Dirk being soft. More than anything, it redeems his performance in 2006 and 2007, which made the Mavericks look like a big joke ("lolmavs", "Regular Season Award", etc.).
It was a bad game shooting wise, obviously. One or two shots were just bad luck, but a 6-19 night overall is obviously a sort of disaster. Considering that the rest of the Mavericks combined could only pull down 14 rebounds though, he and Chandler in that way won the game. I think it was one of those "had to watch the game, not the box score" type of things to understand why he had an okay/good game instead of a bad game. As far as talking about him playing through it, no one is trying to say it was unbelievable. Dirk has always played at least 70 games in a season, the guy plays through anything he can. Why would someone who hates missing games fake being sick?

Who else is ready for the first tied record game in the finals in the last 17 years? (Not sure about ever, not enough data). This should be close, and is objectively a 50/50 game. Home field advantage is greater in the playoffs (with both teams over 50% wins, rises from about 61% regular season to about 66% playoffs). In this case, however, the Mavericks are coming off a relatively big win for this series, 3 of 4 wins period, and the teams both have the same records. All of this brings it closer to a 51% win rate, way beneath the average for a home team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)